Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why no eSATA on LGA1150 motherboards?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:35 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

My sister's computer failed on her earlier this week as the Gigabyte motherboard that was in it failed to post. Troubleshooting and ruling everything else confirmed that the motherboard is the problem, so she set about choosing a new motherboard, new memory, and a new CPU, as well as upgrading the OS to Windows 7. The ASUS motherboard that she chose is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131986

After showing me the motherboard that she chose (she sent me the link in an email), I noticed that this motherboard had no eSATA port on it. This was an important consideration (IMO) as she was using an external hard drive enclosure that is able to connect via an eSATA port or a USB 2.0 port (and I recommended the eSATA port due to its theoretical bandwidth advantage over USB 2.0). After looking through comparable motherboards from both ASUS and Gigabyte, I am unable to find any that have an eSATA port on them. Is this due to the fact that USB 3.0 is a feature on these motherboards? Is eSATA now considered a disposable legacy port now? Thanks in advance to any and all replies to these questions.

Post subject: Re: Why no eSATA on LGA1150 motherboards?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:07 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Yes, pretty much the reason why eSATA is being deprecated (probably unofficially) is because USB3.0 provides and exceeds the bandwidth necessary for external hard drives (plus I'm not sure how popular it was to begin with).

Just get something like a eSATA expansion slot bracket

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:20 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Wow, I had not noticed this before. But micro-ATX with eSATA hard to come by; but not impossible. [added your sister's choice for comparison]

Perhaps a kludge would be more acceptable to save money: SATA to eSATA and power on the external drive?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:56 am 
Team Member
Team Member

That is a business class board, you are probably more likely to find an e-SATA port on an enthusiast board.

::Side note, anyone else notice that neweggs search option is really crippled, no way to search by socket::

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:40 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

nsvander wrote:
....anyone else notice that neweggs search option is really crippled, no way to search by socket::

Yes. They have screwed up a lot of things the past couple weeks, I suspect getting ready for Black November and the holiday sales. Things are broke and then fixed a few days later. I guess the take home should be don't do major surgery just before your big sales.