Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 1080p Gaming PC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:52 am 

Hi All,
It has been a long time since I upgraded my PC and I think it is finally time. I would certainly appreciate any advice of the build below. It is going to just be used for gaming on a Dell 23" 1080p monitor. I am trying to keep it around $700 but the budget may be slightly flexible. I will be keeping my case, keyboard, and mouse.

CPU: AMD FX-6350 Vishera 3.9GHz $140

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 $80

PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W $80

SSD: Intel 335 Series Jay Crest 240GB $180

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 $75

HD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB $70

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100354OC-2L Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB $185

Total $810

The first question I have is what are the opinions of the graphics card? Is there a better price/performance unit int $200ish range? AMD does a slight favor for me, with its Never Settle promotion but I am not 100% committed to that.

I am not in a super rush for this build, as the current one is still working. So is it worth waiting A) for the black Friday/Cyber Monday type sales coming in a few weeks or B) a few months down the road for something better or price drops. I know I can keep waiting and waiting for something better and there always will be, but I am just wondering if there is anything worthwhile in the short term.

Any thoughts on the SSD size? All that I would have it would be the OS (Win 7) and the games I am currently playing. I don't think I would really mind swapping games in and out as needed so perhaps I can get away with a smaller/inexpensive drive?

My final question is, what is recommendations for CPU water blocks? I have been paying as much attention to this stuff lately, and Danger Den my first choice, went and closed up shop. So I don't even really know where to start looking for a good block. Most water cooling that I have seen are the All-In-One systems, which I don't need. So any advice on a good brand/site for water blocks would be appreciated. As would any thoughts on a block for the graphics card. I would ideally like an card with the block installed but it seems like they are only the really expensive $500+ cards.

So thanks again for all of the help and advice.
Bob

Post subject: Re: 1080p Gaming PC
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:46 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

To me, $185 for a 7870 seems high...I thought they were closer to $150. I know AMD just came out with the R9 270X (which is an updated version of the 7870) and it sells for $200. I don't know...I guess $185 is ok. You might be interested in this article which runs down the new AMD cards.

As to the SSD, I like the size - I think it's the sweet spot and I've heard other people agree. On the other hand, some argue 120 should be sufficient. So there is no right/wrong answer (as you can see this has come up in some other threads).

I wish I could help on the water cooling, but I don't build custom loops. I have used the AIO CPU coolers and I really like them: they've been quiet, relatively easy to setup and perform quite well.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: 1080p Gaming PC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:49 pm 

Thanks for the heads up on the price. I haven't been paying too much attention to that so I am not sure what anything typically goes for. I had heard that AMD might be bringing the Never Settle promotion to the R9 series but I haven't heard anything in a while. Anybody know if there is any further rumors on that? A couple of free games can really change the price dynamics on the card issue. Thanks again for the input.
Bob