Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Buy now...or wait? GPU upgrade. (Mid-Range)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:44 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey guys, I'm wanting to throw away my HD3870, I've had this thing for a long time now and I think it's past time for a replacement. I've been gaming a lot lately and plan on playing some new games as they get released so I want some better performance, I'm truly tired of low-settings.
---

I Would like to spend around ~$200, it's not much, I know, but it will have to do.

I've been reading about the new line of AMD cards, but from what I gather the best $200-$250 card is the gtx 760?
What's the best GPU under ~$250?
Would it be worth it to spend the extra ~$50 on a gtx 760 opposed to a ~$150-$200 GPU? Or what?! Help. :?
---

Here's some of the games I play and plan on playing:
Skyrim (mods/ENB)
Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Flag
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Far Cry 3/BD
Fallout NV (mods)
Tomb Raider
The Witcher 2
DXHR
GTA V (Whenever that will be...)
etc.

PC: 3.2 Quad, 8gb of 1333 RAM, 550w PSU, 23" Monitor @ 1080p.
----

Do you think it would be wise to buy anything now? With Black Friday/Cyber Monday or whatever coming up, are there generally good deals on GPUs online? I don't live near any good electronic stores so I have to buy online.

I want to get the best dollar-to-performance possible, I don't get to upgrade too often, so if you think I should just wait, I will.

What would be really helpful, is if I could get a card that came with AC Black Flag, that would be excellent.

Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Buy now...or wait? GPU upgrade. (Mid-Range)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:52 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'd honestly wait until the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales. It's only a few weeks away :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:45 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Yea, I'm fine with waiting, but what should I get when the time comes?

I assume they will release an ad before hand or what? I've never participated in online Black Fridays/Cyber Mondays/etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:40 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

This also gives you some time to save up more money. If possible aim for the Radeon R280X which at the moment floats at $300. Otherwise go for the GTX 760

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:48 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I hear so many varying opinions on AMD/Nvidia...I'm confused more than ever now. Are Nvidia's features in certain games that big of an advantage over AMD? It seems AMD has the best dollar-to-performance in my budget range though..I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:15 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

There are no "exclusive" features for either company being used aside from NVIDIA's PhysX, and PhysX is more for prettiness. Games with NVIDIA's logo on it or AMD's logo on it don't perform appreciably better using the GPU from the respective company. And if there is, then someone would've made a stink about it because you'd have to deliberately sabotage performance since games use a GPU agnostic API.

While AMD at the moment has the price/performance ratio advantage, their current generation cards chew up more power under a nominal load, run ridiculously hot, and if you want to use its fullest potential, run loud as well. Considering that this is just using the reference cooler though, it may change once other manufacturer's throw in their custom heatsinks.