Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 3TB install question
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:17 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

So, I have to put a 3TB drive in my "server" computer and the largest drives I used thus far are 1TB (but I'm out of room). So, I picked up a WD 3TB (Blue) consumer level drive.

My question is this: I'm running Windows Home Server 2011. Is there anything I Have to do special to prevent partition corruption or data loss? I remember reading somewhere that NTFS partitions over 1.8TB were prone to failure or corruption when they got full? Should I just partition into 2x1.5TB partitions?
I'm not as concerned with speed as I am with data loss, since much of the data cannot be recreated (I do regular backups each week of changed content, so I have a backup, but just wouldn't want to have to restore it unless I absolutely needed to).

This will NOT be a boot drive, it will just be an extra data drive. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: 3TB install question
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:10 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I've ran a 2TB and 3TB NTFS partition for years. It's probably just some Linux chump trying to scare Windows people into thinking "evil closed proprietary software" will do that.

Just make sure that 1. the motherboard uses UEFI and 2. WH11 actually supports UEFI. Otherwise you're stuck with MBR and you can't have a maximum partition size of 2TB. Although there's supposed to be some tool from the manufacturer you can use so you can boot off the entire space...