Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Planning a new PC build
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:51 am 

OK so the computer I have is going to be a hand-me-down to my girlfriend. I built it in 09, and its a amd 1090t 6core, 8gb corsair dominator ram, recently upgraded to a 7970 3gb ghz edition from a 5870. She will primarily use it to play dota2 with some other games on the side. I am converting her over to the glorious PC gaming master race and she is patiently waiting to get her hands on my computer.

So with that in mind I just started back up to look at hardware and stuff, and I'm starting to formulate a plan to build in next couple of months. My monitor is a Viewsonic VP2770 I bought when I installed my 7970 a couple months ago. As far as what I plan to do with it is be able to play games for the next couple years at 2560x1440 60fps with all settings maxed out basically. Nothing more, just strictly a gaming machine. Maybe dual-boot Steam OS whenever that comes out for desktops.

I'll probably be getting a R9 290x GPU.

For RAM I was looking at 4 x 4gb or 2 x 8gb sticks of whatever is good. I see now that AMD released AMD branded 2133 ram, and I have no idea if that's just a re-brand with a markup of someone elses RAM and nothing more, or if they do something special with it and it has a noticeable improvement if you go an all AMD setup, which is what I am initially planning on doing.

For CPU should I go 8 core since both consoles are getting AMD 8 cores? If 8 cores then should I just get whatever is the best AMD 8 core now or are they releasing a newer/better/faster chip in the next couple of months and just hold out for that? I don't think I'll buy an Intel processor because traditionally, as far as I know, they are more expensive for little gain. But I have no idea if that's still true now. I am not trying to incite a fanboy flamewar so don't read it as such.

for Motherboard, I don't know. I am under the impression that there's no real difference between a fancy expensive one or a less expensive one since all it does is let the individual components talk to each other, and there is no real performance gain by spending more money.

For PSU, a seasonic 700-ish watt platinum or gold one most likely.

For HDD, I was eyeballing a Samsung 840 512gb SSD, and a 1 TB or more western digital.

For Tower, no idea, there are too many to choose from. When you have 100 cases that cost 150 bucks, how do you choose? My main considerations are good cooling and very quiet. I'm not interested in a window on the side or being able to see it from space with all the LED's.

So any idea's, comments, suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Planning a new PC build
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:37 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Haaspac wrote:
As far as what I plan to do with it is be able to play games for the next couple years at 2560x1440 60fps with all settings maxed out basically.

One GPU should be enough for games today, but you'll probably want to invest in another if you don't want to upgrade again in those few years.

Quote:
For RAM I was looking at 4 x 4gb or 2 x 8gb sticks of whatever is good. I see now that AMD released AMD branded 2133 ram, and I have no idea if that's just a re-brand with a markup of someone elses RAM and nothing more, or if they do something special with it and it has a noticeable improvement if you go an all AMD setup, which is what I am initially planning on doing.

AMD's RAM offers no real benefit other than it's certified for AMD systems. Plus I think it's a bit more pricey than other brands. If this is purely for gaming, I would just stick with 8GB and no faster than DDR3-1600. The reason is, despite what system requirements for games is that most games are 32-bit and in Windows 64-bit environments, practically all 32-bit programs are capped to 2GB of memory usage. And faster RAM doesn't offer any real-world performance benefit for games.

Quote:
For CPU should I go 8 core since both consoles are getting AMD 8 cores? If 8 cores then should I just get whatever is the best AMD 8 core now or are they releasing a newer/better/faster chip in the next couple of months and just hold out for that?

The CPU consoles are getting is basically AMD's competition to the Intel Atom, i.e., very bottom tier. Therefore I have no reason to believe console ports to PCs will receive any real benefit on systems with more cores. And at the moment, the Core i5-4670K is better for gaming.

Quote:
for Motherboard, I don't know. I am under the impression that there's no real difference between a fancy expensive one or a less expensive one since all it does is let the individual components talk to each other, and there is no real performance gain by spending more money.

You sir are correct.

Quote:
For PSU, a seasonic 700-ish watt platinum or gold one most likely.

You can drop this to 600W if you're sticking to a single card system. Otherwise bump it up to 750W for two cards.

Quote:
For HDD, I was eyeballing a Samsung 840 512gb SSD, and a 1 TB or more western digital.

What are you going to fill the SSD with? Depending on the game, there may or may not be much of an appreciable benefit. Open world games spend most of the loading time initializing. For instance, Skyrim pretty much loads in the same amount of time on an SSD or an HDD, at least on my system. The most I would recommend on an SSD is 256GB, otherwise 128GB is plenty for the OS and an assortment of programs.

Quote:
For Tower, no idea, there are too many to choose from. When you have 100 cases that cost 150 bucks, how do you choose? My main considerations are good cooling and very quiet. I'm not interested in a window on the side or being able to see it from space with all the LED's.

If you're looking for something quiet, check out reviews from http://www.silentpcreview.com