Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Asus Z87 Sabertooth and Rog Hero questions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:06 pm 

Hi, I've searched online for answers to two questions, but couldn't find good answers, so am posting here.

1) Can the Z87 Sabertooth work perfectly fine with the thermal armor removed? And the two small fans that cool underneath the armor removed as well? It seems earlier models of the Sabertooth could function okay with the armor off, but have not seen info about the Z87 version. One concern is there is a sensor system on the MB, and will that system be disrupted with the armor all off? I like quiet computing, and the armor and two fans to cool under the armor seems like extra noise, when one would think the board should be fine with no armor or tiny MB mounted fans.

2) The Hero has only an HDMI port on the MB, and no display port as many Z87 boards have. I really like the idea of being able to run the monitor directly from the MB as a backup, in case there is a problem with the GPU card, or am ordering another card, etc. Can the HDMI-out on the Hero at least connect and run 2D applications at 1280/1024 on a 4/3 aspect monitor, where it will look fine for typing, etc?

Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Asus Z87 Sabertooth and Rog Hero questions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:07 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

1) I'm pretty sure the motherboard can run just fine without the armor, since it's not acting like a heatsink.

2) The HDMI port uses Intel's HD Graphics, which is more than plenty to run a computer for basic tasks. If you don't have a HDMI input on your monitor, you can get a DVI <-> HDMI converter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:04 pm 

Thanks LatiosXT,

If the thermal armor is removed though, could there be any problems with the bios, etc, if those two mini-fans are not installed -maybe the setup and fan controlling software expects they will be installed. What concerns me a little is that I have not seen any real go-ahead from asus or anywhere else that the Z87 board will function just fine without the armor, even though in theory you would think it would.

Would it be possible to use some small washers and nuts to just attach only the rear armor panel, and not the front panel, for some structural rigidity, as I plan on using a large heatsink.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:41 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The BIOS shouldn't care about the fans. The only ones it does care about is the CPU fan, but it's not like the system won't boot. It'll just say "hey, there's a problem with your fan". As for structural support or whatever, probably not.

The whole thing about the Sabertooth and the "Thermal Armor" is it's supposed to channel airflow to parts of the system which do just fine otherwise. Honestly, I think this is a gimmick at best to price a $150 motherboard another $30-$50.