Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Custom Gaming PC build opinions.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:53 pm 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1KeLH (Gpu is listed at bottom. 280x when it comes out)
Hi,
This is my first time on the forum so if this isn't in the right place I apologize. So Hi to all the MaximumPC forum people.
So here is my question. This build is for gaming and gaming only besides youtube but what gaming computer can't load a youtube video? The reason I chose the
AMD 8 core is because bf4 and probably all new games support it. THe 280x it supposed to be in between a 770-780 and it $100 less. So is this set up good enough to get 6o fps or above on maxed out bf4 at 1080p? The main goal with this computer is to be able to put every game on ultra 1080p and get more than 60 fps. If there is anything you would change please let me know because this will be my first PC build and i want to get it right. The motherboard is my main worry. Is that a good motherboard for gaming? My price limit is $1500 but who doesn't like saving money? The reason it's only $1000 now is because the lack of GPU. One other question i had was the 280x has something called AMD audio or something like that. Does that mean I dont need a sound card? I'll be using a analog headset plugged into the tower.

Sorry for the crazy long message.

Thanks,
J.D.

Post subject: Re: Custom Gaming PC build opinions.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:13 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I would wait until AMD's cards come out and see how things turn out. But some pointers in the mean time...

• I doubt BF4 will tax a higher end 8-core processor. If it's taxing the PS4 or XBox One... well AMD Jaguar's CPUs is basically AMD's answer to Intel's Atom. i.e., bottom tier x86 processors.
  • $100-$150 motherboards will do just fine. Expensive motherboards don't perform any better than cheaper boards because they're all built on standards. All these expensive motherboards buys you is just the ability to say overclock better or some "nice to have" features that are convenient, but nothing a normal motherboard probably can't do with more elbow grease
  • AMD TrueAudio is just another thing out there in the likes of Creative for positional audio. It's nothing new and may save you money, but the problem is that the developer has to develop for it as well. And honestly, you have to ask yourself if such a thing would even matter. I have a 5.1 setup and while it does sound nice at times, I don't really care about it half the time since often times I'm not caring about the things around me (i.e., in Battlefield 3, if I'm attacking someone in front of me, chances are I won't care about someone coming up from behind me or on the side) . It might be useful in some cases, but I also get other cues in games where something is coming from.

But surround sound over 2 channels (which most convincingly I've heard is the Virtual Barber Shop) still doesn't really have anything over discrete surround sound over speakers, in my opinion.

Post subject: Re: Custom Gaming PC build opinions.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:18 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
I would wait until AMD's cards come out and see how things turn out. But some pointers in the mean time...

• I doubt BF4 will tax a higher end 8-core processor. If it's taxing the PS4 or XBox One... well AMD Jaguar's CPUs is basically AMD's answer to Intel's Atom. i.e., bottom tier x86 processors.
  • $100-$150 motherboards will do just fine. Expensive motherboards don't perform any better than cheaper boards because they're all built on standards. All these expensive motherboards buys you is just the ability to say overclock better or some "nice to have" features that are convenient, but nothing a normal motherboard probably can't do with more elbow grease
  • AMD TrueAudio is just another thing out there in the likes of Creative for positional audio. It's nothing new and may save you money, but the problem is that the developer has to develop for it as well. And honestly, you have to ask yourself if such a thing would even matter. I have a 5.1 setup and while it does sound nice at times, I don't really care about it half the time since often times I'm not caring about the things around me (i.e., in Battlefield 3, if I'm attacking someone in front of me, chances are I won't care about someone coming up from behind me or on the side) . It might be useful in some cases, but I also get other cues in games where something is coming from.

But surround sound over 2 channels (which most convincingly I've heard is the Virtual Barber Shop) still doesn't really have anything over discrete surround sound over speakers, in my opinion.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jodomcfrodo/saved/2vyr

I've updated it since I posted this. Is this any better. The gpu is on the bottom