Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New to building computers need expert advice and insight!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:23 am 

Hello my name is kyle. I'm here as a completely newcomer to building computers. I am wanting to build me a better and faster desktop than what i have now. Don't get me wrong my computer has worked fine for me for years 6 almost without a problem. Its just not meeting to ever increasing demands of newer games, software, and everything else. I am a multimedia person. I edit alot of videos that i record with my go pro cameras, i do word and excel documenting on my computer also, i play games on it and then other things that are causing my computer not to be able to keep up anymore.

What i am looking for is to build me a multimedia and gaming computer all in one system. Idk really where to start like i said completely new to this but im looking for what i could use or put into my system that will be great for future gaming and multimedia technologies. I would like to have 2 or more monitors in this system as being in multimedia it would make it a great deal easier to work with 2 or more screens rather than just one and i would like it to be under a budget of $1500.00 or less. If its a few over it will be ok.

Things i have already know that i will need is a case and i already have a case. But as far as compatibility for the different parts idk what im looking for and what will work with something else for this particular build.

Case wise i have already gotten this one in the link. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EPUQAE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2NG4HB43UEDVL Cool Master Advanced Full Tower

Any and all help would be great. thanks again for everything.

Post subject: Re: New to building computers need expert advice and insight
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:49 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($148.51 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: LG IPS224V-PN 21.5" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: LG IPS224V-PN 21.5" Monitor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1400.39
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-05 22:33 EDT-0400)

Reasoning:
The monitors I picked, mostly because for the price, you get an 1080p IPS monitor. It might be on the smaller side (it's 21"), but for $120 apiece, this is a steal. Plus it's an LG, they make good panels.

I was considering the FX-8350, but I feel the i5 is better rounded for all tasks. Plus with the cooler you should be able to overclock to squeeze out more performance.

As for the motherboard, it should do you well for all your needs. Though just as another thing to through out, check out the Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H if it gives you more features that you could use.

Memory... 8GB to start and you can always add more (now or later) if you think you need more. But I would just wait until you give your system a test run. If you're not running out of memory, then you won't need more than 8GB.

For storage, I think a 120GB SSD should be enough for your OS and programs, the rest of your stuff could go on the hard drive.

The PSU provides more than enough power.

The OS you can change to Windows 7 for the same price if you really want.

The video card I chose last, but it performs plenty well in games. You can score Radeon HD 7970's for slightly more, if you're OK with AMD, and these will perform better.