Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PC Build- First Time UEFI Bios Setup
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:04 pm 

Hello to all. So, I'm getting ready for a next-gen build and need some help post assembly. First off, just wanted to say that I did some pretty heavy searching for help initially (scrolling through the stickied posts etc.), but honestly couldn't quite find what I was looking for. Having said that, I'm sure some of you could help point me in the right direction. I just have a few questions in regards to not only configuring the BIOS, but to see what exactly all needs to be configured upon that first boot up. I've been reading through the motherboard manual to get familiarized with where all the headers are and what not as well as the BIOS section, but it doesn't do the best job at alluding to the items that need to be configured. Maybe I'm overlooking something. Or perhaps I don't really need to configure anything in the BIOS and can just boot from the OS disc?

So to my main questions though: Besides SATA configuration which I pretty well understand as far as configuring what type of RAID to utilize (I was going to go with RAID 1 simply because [at the moment at least] I'm only going to be using a single ssd as my bootup drive and to load a small handful of games onto also being more reliable, than RAID 0, but also since I have an external 1 tb hard drive that will suffice for the time being, thoughts on using RAID 0 vs RAID 1?), is there anything else that needs to be set up after that first boot up? Not sure if I would need to partition that hard drive or anything so that's another thought on my mind and I don't think I would need to configure like the CPU or anything like that obviously (unless I was overclocking I guess), I just want to make sure I'm not skipping something.

And I mean if anything, I was thinking about going to a local shop that I've been to before and am familiar with the owner to have them help me with this if things get a little too out of my league. But, I would love to try and do it on my own. I'll keep looking over my manual. Sorry for the semi-long post also! In the meantime, here it is :D And thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

*Tried to upload a pic, but site said something like "Could not upload attachment to ./files/228656_ec8339442a2a10e914882a97ec7b8474"* (Compressed it down and still gave me an error message)

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650d
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
CPU: i7 4770k
- Cooler: Corsair H80i
GPU: EVGA GTX Titan Superclocked (for higher res gaming)
HDD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb
RAM: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinums at 1600mhz

Post subject: Re: PC Build- First Time UEFI Bios Setup
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:56 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If I'm reading this right... If you have one drive, you can't do RAID. RAID requires two identical drives. Either way for SSDs, usually people go for RAID 0 because performance reasons and that people rarely use SSDs to store anything important. RAID 1 offers reliability and read speed, but you only have the capacity of the single drive (versus combined with RAID 0)

Also, consider two GTX 770's, cheaper than a Titan and performs significantly better.

Post subject: Re: PC Build- First Time UEFI Bios Setup
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:23 am 

For sure man. I actually misunderstood a build video and thought you had to configure that in the BIOS...my bad! Got the thing up and running and it performs beautifully. CPU and GPU idle right around the low 20's. But thanks for the response.