PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:22 am 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... 44693-LM4A

Your input is appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Great deal or no?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:16 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
it does look like a pretty good deal. I have looked at $700.00 machines that are not as good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:51 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I should caveat everything I say with that fact that I have no idea what you need or want, or how much you have to spend. As such, I will strictly speak to my analysis of the components.

Analysis:
CPU 200
mobo 75 (10MIR)
GPU 150 (30MIR)
Case 60 (15MIR)
PSU 60
RAM 70
HDD 70
DVD 15
Total = 700 - 55MIR = 654
vs. 575 - 55MIR = 520
Difference = 134

So from a cost perspective, this combo is a pretty good deal. Of course, to complete your build you will need an OS (add 100). For a total of 620, you have a decent, mid range gaming computer.

My Analysis of the components:
  • The biggest feature is the CPU. Had it been the 8320 I would have probably passed on the combo; however, this CPU IMO would be the deciding factor in favor of the deal.
  • While I like the CPU, I'm hesitant on the PSU - I would have liked a better brand (one that I trust). On the flip side, 630W is more than sufficient for the components in the combo. In fact, if you wanted to move to a better GPU (which would be the next logical step for a gaming computer) I think you would still have sufficient headroom. Another thing to note: the PSU has over 2000 reviews and still has a 4 star average. That's a good indication that the PSU is satisfactory.
  • I'm torn on the GPU. I've been a long time fan of XFX (but haven't used them since they were excommunicated from nVidia). At the same time, I feel like I'm wasting money on the GPU since I would probably replace it with a better one relatively quickly.
  • Case is not my preference, but I could learn to like it, I guess.
  • Most builds use 2 sticks of RAM (not one) so I don't know if there will be a performance hit (and if so, by how much). Perhaps someone could shed some light on the subject, but I will admit any variance in performance would probably be minimal and may not even be enough to be perceived.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:43 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

The thing that brings this deal to a really good buy is the combo discount. I had a look at the PSU and it's a rebadged Andyson E293028. The problem is I can't figure out if Andyson is a reputable OEM or not but if this is one of Raidmax's higher end models, I would say it should be at least a decent PSU.

As for the one stick of RAM, it may not matter much. Falcon Northwest did a build with one stick of RAM a long time ago (2008 or 2009 I believe?) and Tom's Hardware did a review on it and found no practical difference.