Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How do I remove a Cooler Master backplate?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:00 pm 

I bought a used MSI P35 Platinum board (LGA775). It has a Cooler Master backplate for the CPU cooler already. Unfortunately, my CM cooler's standoffs do not fit it and I can't figure out how to remove the old backplate. It is X-shaped and has embeded hex nuts going through the plate, into which the cooler would be screwed down. If you have the original CM cooler. The board seller won't know because it's a recycler on eBay. I tried using standard motherboard standoffs but they are slightly too big for the nuts. Which leaves me the option of removing the backplate. Except it seems to be glued down pretty well and I don't want to take a chance on cracking the board. Any suggestions on 1) how to remove the plate or 2) find standoffs that fit the plate? I should add that there are no identifying marks on the plate other than Cooler Master.

Post subject: Re: How do I remove a Cooler Master backplate?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:22 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Take a photo, post it up...might help us to actually, see it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:35 am 

Yeah, a picture might help. :) Here it is:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:46 am 

I gave up on finding a standoff with the right threading and whatever is holding the backing plate on does not want to let go so I drilled the d@mn holes open. :shock: Nothing visibly broke but I won't be able to power it up until tonight to ensure I don't have toss another motherboard on the scrap heap (original NVIDIA/ASUS board died, replacement Intel board was DOA, and we'll see if this MSI board survives).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:27 am 

I have exactly the same problem with that CM backplate!!
I have no idea on how to remove it... I don't want to drill anything because I know I will break the mobo ...i'm not keen in such jobs!
I bought that mobo from eBay to install a Q9650 and now I can't mount my heatsink because of that stupid backplate :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:58 pm 

I didn't post a follow up, but mine is running like a champ! Drilling it out was pretty easy. Start with a small bit and relatively low drill speed. The small bit will be your pilot hole and will prevent the next size up from skipping out and damaging the traces on the board. Make sure the board is on top of a surface like thick cardboard or corkboard so that it is steady and the bit has a place to bite into when it exits. Put modest, but firm, pressure as you drill. Keep going up in bit sizes until you can fit your bolts through it. The area around the holes is comparatively free of electrical doohickyes so as long as you are careful and take your time then you will be fine. It was well worth the risk to me as I now have a fully functioning secondary PC that's running like an outdated, but new, champ!

But my P4 Amahi home server shat itself almost immediately after. Oh well, it's always something!