Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:24 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:33 pm
Posts: 8
Hello everyone!

I'm just another newbie trying to build his first pc . So, here is the case : http://www.legitreviews.com/images/revi ... er_004.jpg.

Nah, just kidding! :P

Here is the case, I want to build a super computer that will last for LONG. I'm a programmer, gamer and a musician so I need my PC to be able to run multiple programs at once, have decent graphics and a bit of above average audio support.

Budget: 1900 euros MAX!

Take a look at the parts I've choosen and then I will give you some more info : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1E87z

The actual monitor I want to buy is this : LG MONITOR 27EA73LM-P

Now let me justify the selection of these components:

- CPU: I need a fast one, not too expensive, and compatible with the motherboard
- Motherboard: I love the fact that it's got 8 ram slots. By the time 16Gigs becomes "the minimum ram you need" , I will just throw in another set of 4x4Gigs. It also has the audio support I need "Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2, Lossless 24-bit/192KHz HD Audio".
- RAM: Well, I think 16Gigs of ram is more than enough. Four modules of ram to take advantage of the motherboard's quad channel support.
- SSD: From my past experience, 500GB or storage is all I need. Mainly because I have the habit of deleting useless files/programs quite often. Choosing an SSD for extra speed!
- Case: Compatible with motherboard. Looks AWESOME! :D
- Power supply: Maybe 600W are WAY more than I need. However, I plan on getting graphics card in the future...
- Optical drive: I just need one....
- Monitor: My gf uses this monitor and it is very good. Large screen to fit two windows side by side (very helpful for programming and watching movies :) )
- Keyboard: Just a regular keyboard. I like the fact that is has a touchpad. When you need to stand back you won't have to take the mouse with you.
- Mouse: My gf also uses it. It works on many surfaces.
- Speakers: I'm not really sure if I'll get those, the seem fine for now.

My questions to you:

- What am I missing?
- Are all the components compatible?
- Is there anything a bit more expensive with great gain?
- Is there anything a bit less expensive with the same gain?
- What about the power supply?
- Do I need a cpu cooler? I know the default one does the job, but does a better cooler help cpu run faster or live longer?


Thank you all for your help!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:32 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5259
What am I missing?
A video card.

Are all the components compatible?
Yes

Is there anything a bit more expensive with great gain?
Drop the SSD to a 250GB and get a hard drive. It's not a factor of speed here, it's a factor of practicality. While an SSD grants you speed for say loading programs and feeling snappy, the thing here is that it doesn't do jack squat for "low bandwidth, low use" files like pictures, music, videos, and documents because hard drive supply sufficient bandwidth and they're only accessed once (they live in RAM practically from there on). So go ahead, hoard a little.

Is there anything a bit less expensive with the same gain?
Dropping the X79 platform and going either Z87 with a Core i7-4770K or an AMD 990X with a FX-8350. Part of the reason is that for what I see in your use case, you don't need a lot of horsepower. Music generally doesn't take that much effort for a CPU to work with. Not to mention that for most people, spending over $180 on a motherboard is pointless. Motherboards are one of the few parts where price isn't so much a factor on performance because they all use buses and interfaces that are standard. A PCI Express 3.0 slot on a $120 board is going to perform the same on a $300 board, because it's a standard. You could easily shave off up to $310 USD if you went this route.

Also the i7-3820 performs worse than the i7-4770K and they're about the same price.

What about the power supply?
That's fine.

Do I need a cpu cooler? I know the default one does the job, but does a better cooler help cpu run faster or live longer?
If you want one, a Cooler Master 212, whatever the latest version is. Heat has no effect on performance unless the CPU is hitting its thermal limit, then it throttles itself. It will affect lifespan, but the part will be long obsolete in your eyes anyway with a stock cooler before it croaks.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:52 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:33 pm
Posts: 8
Thanks for the reply!

LatiosXT wrote:
A video card.

I would like to buy one in the future. I want to play heavy games, I just don't have the budget to buy a great video card yet. I think that buying an $120 graphics card is a waste of money when you can get a $400 one. I just need to save more money for that.

LatiosXT wrote:
Drop the SSD to a 250GB and get a hard drive. It's not a factor of speed here, it's a factor of practicality. While an SSD grants you speed for say loading programs and feeling snappy, the thing here is that it doesn't do jack squat for "low bandwidth, low use" files like pictures, music, videos....

You do have a point, but what is the actual great gain here? I don't need over 500GB of space anyway.

LatiosXT wrote:
Dropping the X79 platform and going either Z87 with a Core i7-4770K or an AMD 990X with a FX-8350. Part of the reason is that for what I see in your use case, you don't need a lot of horsepower. Music generally doesn't take that much effort for a CPU to work with. Not to mention that for most people, spending over $180 on a motherboard is pointless....

I will for sure think about the processor thing, but : Firstly, I will need a lot of horsepower for the games. Secondly, playing music does not require a supercomputer, but recording and playing two dozens of tracks loaded with audio effects on a professional recording software...does need some power :)

EDIT: If I leave this motherboard, I will need to get an audio card as well.

LatiosXT wrote:
It will affect lifespan, but the part will be long obsolete in your eyes anyway with a stock cooler before it croaks.

This is important now ( also related to the matters above ). I think of this as a good investment. I have saved some money that I want to spend on computer that will help me do my work (programmer), have fun (games) and do my hobby (play and record music). Lifespan is reaaaallly important to me. Spending this amount of money, I don't want to buy another PC for the next 8-9 years. I mean that :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:15 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5259
Tsopi wrote:
You do have a point, but what is the actual great gain here? I don't need over 500GB of space anyway.

You say that now...

Tsopi wrote:
I will for sure think about the processor thing, but : Firstly, I will need a lot of horsepower for the games. Secondly, playing music does not require a supercomputer, but recording and playing two dozens of tracks loaded with audio effects on a professional recording software...does need some power :)

EDIT: If I leave this motherboard, I will need to get an audio card as well.

Games don't require a beefy CPU, they require a beefy GPU. A low end Core i3 coupled with say a GTX 770 or Radeon HD 7970 will run most games at 60FPS or better at 1080p.

Recording is dependent on the recording hardware and your storage speed, which for CD quality audio is still not that big of a deal. 12 CD quality stereo tracks need at least 2.11MB/s. Even if you went DVD quality, this only bumps it up to 13MB/s. As for audio effects, unless it's applied in real-time, then it's not going to touch the CPU. And if DJs can use software mixers on a Macbook Pro, which even a Core i5-4670K will smoke, then I have no reason to believe you need that much horsepower.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:18 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:33 pm
Posts: 8
LatiosXT wrote:
You say that now...

I did say on the post ;)

LatiosXT wrote:
Recording is dependent on the recording hardware and your storage speed, which for CD quality audio is still not that big of a deal. 12 CD quality stereo tracks need at least 2.11MB/s. Even if you went DVD quality, this only bumps it up to 13MB/s. As for audio effects, unless it's applied in real-time, then it's not going to touch the CPU. And if DJs can use software .....

I actually need around 20 channels of studio quality tracks. I play rock/metal, so the guitars alone needs 8 tracks of Studio quality with eq, compression, distortion and delay effects real-time, let alone the vocals, bass and drums.

Look, I get what your point is. You think that I don't really need all this power and this is true. As a pc lover, it's my dream to own an awesome computer. And this computer shall last for long! I don't want my struggle to open..let's say Visual Studio 2020, or Cubase 12. I saved those money just for this purpose, and I ask for your help on how to make the best out of them :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:31 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5259
Given that general processing power hasn't really increased all that much and we're hitting a wall soon, I don't think you'd have to worry so much about a computer 10 years from now being a total junk heap as a computer that's 10 years old today. Even then... if what you have works, then why bother upgrading? :P

But if that's really what you want, then it's your money. Go right ahead.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:33 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:33 pm
Posts: 8
LatiosXT wrote:
if what you have works, then why bother upgrading? :P


My adroid phone works too, but it won't do all the stuff I listed above :P

I currently own a macbook and i totally want to get rid of it. I need the games and software available for windows. I also need to install linux. And my macbook has a 13" monitor so it's ain't the right piece for gaming and movies.

As said before, I want to spend my money, but I need help to get the best I can buy with them. Do you think what I got there is good enough for the price?

About the technological wall... I don't think it's gonna happen. Multiple RISC cpu's will come to the rescue... at least that's what our "Computer Architecture" lecturer keeps saying :P


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:46 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5259
Tsopi wrote:
Do you think what I got there is good enough for the price?

This is a dangerous phrase to say here, because then you get people trying to find you the best parts for the money, not just the best parts period.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:47 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:33 pm
Posts: 8
LatiosXT wrote:
This is a dangerous phrase to say here, because then you get people trying to find you the best parts for the money, not just the best parts period.

I didn't get it, can you explain please?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:53 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5259
We're getting sidetracked here...

So anyway
  • Just go with a i7-4770K with a Z87 board, like http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz87mxd3h. You shave off $200+ and you get better performance in the end.
  • Go for a smaller SSD with a hard drive. Audio eats up a lot of space really quickly (I have a 12 minute mix I was dorking with and it's already 312MB) and the other reason is that sort of work may entail a lot of writes. You don't want to do that to an SSD.
  • I also noticed finally the monitor you picked is eh. If you're getting a 1080p monitor, stop looking beyond 23". For the price that the monitor normally goes for, you can get a nice 24" eIPS monitor.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:51 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:40 pm
Posts: 701
Tsopi wrote:
LatiosXT wrote:
This is a dangerous phrase to say here, because then you get people trying to find you the best parts for the money, not just the best parts period.

I didn't get it, can you explain please?

I'm not sure I understand you either. I'm curious what you mean.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:43 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:33 pm
Posts: 8
btdog wrote:
Tsopi wrote:
LatiosXT wrote:
This is a dangerous phrase to say here, because then you get people trying to find you the best parts for the money, not just the best parts period.

I didn't get it, can you explain please?

I'm not sure I understand you either. I'm curious what you mean.


I did not understand the difference of the "best parts for the money" and the "best parts period". If the second ones are way more expensive, I ain't gonna buy them. If the second ones are cheaper ( like the cpu Latios suggested ) I will consider buying them


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:34 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:40 pm
Posts: 701
Sorry, Tsopi. My comment was geared towards LatiosXT.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:39 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5259
I'm a man of mystery. Just ignore what I said :3


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:07 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:09 pm
Posts: 570
How is this? Taking Latios advice, used the 4770 cpu and a cheaper mobo. Put in a top of the line gfx card and a very good audio card. Also saved you money using a 256gb Samsung SSD and a 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD. About the same price, and your build didn't have a top of the line gfx included. This should last you a decade, and maybe bump up the PSU to something better if you like.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($206.13 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($182.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($170.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: LG 27EA63V-P 60Hz 27.0" Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech K400 Wireless Slim Keyboard w/Touchpad ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Microsoft L2 Wireless Mouse 2000 Wireless Optical Mouse
Total: $1776.02
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-22 15:05 EDT-0400)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:16 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:33 pm
Posts: 8
phillyj wrote:
How is this? Taking Latios advice....
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks
Total: $1776.02
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-22 15:05 EDT-0400)


This is a really helpful reply. Thank you sir! :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:06 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:33 pm
Posts: 8
phillyj wrote:
Total:[/b] $1776.02

So I checked the local prices of these parts and I got a total of 2076.5 euros. Which is out of my budget. When I removed the video card, price falls to 1665.18 which is just fine. I suppose I'm going to leave it with out a video card, and save some money to get one later. :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Building my first PC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:09 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:09 pm
Posts: 570
Make sure it meets your audio needs (and other needs also) because audio's not my area and I just looked it up quickly.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group