Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need opinions on a PC upgrade
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:05 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Greetings all :)

So I have about $1700 to spend on upgrading my system. I only need to get a new cpu/mobo, memory, hard drives, and graphics. I have a 650watt psu as well, so let me know if that will work :)

I want to be able to do a few things if I desire, but basically looking for solid gaming/working computer. I like to tinker around with overclocking as well, and wouldn't mind playing around with bitcoin (I have heard AMD video cards are better for this than Nvidia but seems like Nvidia has better offerings these days).

One major caveat to all this, I have a 30inch 2560x1600 monitor, so I want to make sure my graphics setup can do high settings and get good frame rates still :) .

As for my work, the only real thing I need is a decent CPU and a large amount of memory (16gb should be enough but will lean toward 32GB if the price is right!)

What I have picked out is below. I have an EVGA overclocked Nvidia 780 in the list, but I am wondering if crossfire 7970s would be good too (and better for bitcoining!).

Video: EVGA GTX 780 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CUIVSNS/ref=ox_sc_a...
Mobo: ASUS z87 pro http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRJSXR4/ref=ox_sc_a...
Storage: Samsung 840 pro http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NB8WRU/ref=ox_sc_a...
Memory: 16GB Ripjaws http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GWMQ66/ref=ox_sc_a...
Proc: i7 4770k http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO8TBQ0/ref=ox_sc_a...

Post subject: Re: Need opinions on a PC upgrade
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:19 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Wow no replies? Does that mean this build looks good, or nobody has any suggestions? lol

I am going to pull the trigger tomorrow, so any last updates are greatly appreciated :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:03 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

The October 2013 issue of MPC has a really good article about bitcoins and mining for them. One thing I wished it would have covered is how many BTCs a person could anticipate earning with a typical computer. Since they are getting harder to mine and more people are doing it, I'm guessing you won't mine that much. Maybe someone on the board with experience could shed some light.

Bottom line: AMD's GPUs are significantly better at mining than nVidia's; so if you plan on doing serious mining, you should get an AMD GPU. In fact, you would be better off building/buying a system dedicated to mining. As to your selection, the mobo supports SLI, but I can't tell if it supports crossfire (but I don't think it does).

Disregarding bitcoins, the 780 or Titan would be ideal for gaming with that type of monitor.

Not sure why you need 16GB of RAM, but you may want to check prices before you buy - $160 seems high for 16GB.

Oh, the PSU should be ok but you may want to run use a PSU calculator to make sure it will be enough. I tend to get more power than necessary, but if it were me and I was getting a 780, I would probably want 750W.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:19 am 
Klamath
Klamath

btdog wrote:
The October 2013 issue of MPC has a really good article about bitcoins and mining for them. One thing I wished it would have covered is how many BTCs a person could anticipate earning with a typical computer. Since they are getting harder to mine and more people are doing it, I'm guessing you won't mine that much. Maybe someone on the board with experience could shed some light.

Bottom line: AMD's GPUs are significantly better at mining than nVidia's; so if you plan on doing serious mining, you should get an AMD GPU. In fact, you would be better off building/buying a system dedicated to mining. As to your selection, the mobo supports SLI, but I can't tell if it supports crossfire (but I don't think it does).

Disregarding bitcoins, the 780 or Titan would be ideal for gaming with that type of monitor.

Not sure why you need 16GB of RAM, but you may want to check prices before you buy - $160 seems high for 16GB.

Oh, the PSU should be ok but you may want to run use a PSU calculator to make sure it will be enough. I tend to get more power than necessary, but if it were me and I was getting a 780, I would probably want 750W.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response bgdog :). It was actually the October issue that piqued my curiosity with bitcoining :). I try to be as pragmatic as possible in life, so when going for this build I think "I want to accomplish as many things as I can in one build."

From what it sounds like, it seems like throwing efficient bitcoining in the mix and I should be happy with what I have.

As to the 16GB of memory...In my line of work I do a lot of SQL, .net, C# and now tabular model (which is in memory olap processing) so my need for memory is growing. I may actually consider going 32GB just to future proof myself for what I do :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:38 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Gonna butt in for just a second...

For your setup I would recommend a 600W-650W PSU that can deliver at least 40A on the 12V rail. Though any power supply that meets that requirement should be enough.

As far as memory goes, do you need 16GB of RAM? In my view, you don't need more RAM unless you're constantly topping out what you already have.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:45 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

LatiosXT wrote:
Gonna butt in for just a second...

For your setup I would recommend a 600W-650W PSU that can deliver at least 40A on the 12V rail. Though any power supply that meets that requirement should be enough.

As far as memory goes, do you need 16GB of RAM? In my view, you don't need more RAM unless you're constantly topping out what you already have.

Thanks Latios for the information that helps. I will doublecheck my psu when I get home :)

In regards to the RAM, if you see my post above yours, the answer is yes :). I work as a consultant and as such I do a lot of proof of concept building on my home computer. I have 6GB now and I can chew that up in seconds. Having some breathing room would be nice. Also, it would be nice to not have to turn of the SQL Server engine service everytime I want to play games ;)