Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SSD Caching for P67 boards
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:07 pm 

My Sandy Bridge desktop is getting rather long in the tooth, hobbling along with 2-minute cold-start times and lethargic application performance. I've identified my hard drive as the most likely bottleneck, but I can't afford a large SSD to replace it and would rather not go through the hassle of reinstalling my OS and programs on a smaller SSD. SSD caching may be the solution to my problem, but unfortunately I'm running a P67 chipset, which complicates matters. I need some advice from the PC gurus.

I've heard that there is an expansion card which can emulate SRT functionality, the HighPoint RocketHybrid, but I don't know if that's the right way to go. Are there other options out there? Has anyone used the RocketHybrid?
Help me, all you Obi-wan Kenobi's out there. You're my only hope.

Post subject: Re: SSD Caching for P67 boards
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:28 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Before dumping money into an upgrade, you should see about actually performing some maintenance on the computer. Scrub the hard drive for garbage files and run a defrag that optimizes file placement. And while SSD caching is nice, in the end you're probably going to spend as much or more for less. SRT is only good up to 32GB partitions and the performance doesn't kick in unless you use the files in question frequently. So sure, while Windows will eventually get a nice boost in performance, some of your other stuff won't depending on how frequently you use it.

In any case, you don't have to reinstall anything if you can shrink the primary partition (along with the bootloader partition) to the size of the SSD. You can clone it from there.