Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Something old made new again
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:23 am 

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.603646396324351.1073741825.425829890772670&type=1

This is a Docstar Series 3 Cube Server Chassis I am refurbing. It originally contained an Asus P4B533 Motherboard. My plan is to Mod it into a Borg Cube :) But I need a Motherboard suggestion. I don't mind mAtx, but a standard ATX size is what I originally have to work with, so keep that in mind. Primary use will be for gaming, music production, and productivity. Video setup will 2 EVGA 650 TiBoost SC Edition cards in SLI from my current Workstation, so I'd prefer a board that definitely supports x16/x16 SLI on the PCIe Bus. BUT I'd also like to find such a board that also has room for a 1x PCIe slot for a Wireless N 1x card in there somewhere despite the SLI config with 2 dual slot cards. Minimum of 4 DIMM slots for up 32Gb of DDR3. Oh, and yes, I'd prefer an Intel board socket 2011 board, UNLESS you can show me the perfect board to fit a standard ATX mount that will support a Vishera 9590. As that would be about the only AMD CPU I would consider. I choose socket 2011 because (correct me if I am wrong) most will accept a Xeon CPU depending on BIOS version/update, and I am a long time Xeon user. I can't swing a 6 core Xeon just yet, but I'd like to be able to move up later after their prices come down once they've been replaced by newer tech.

Because of the nature of the chassis layout, I already have the primary 24pin and 12v 4 pin cable extenders to get from one side of the chassis to another, just need the right board to squeeze in there, and I'd like to hear what you think would work best. The reason I ask is because I'd like to ensure I can run full x16 SLI AND be able to squeeze in my Wireless card if possible. Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions! :)