Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Back from Mission, time for new rig
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:10 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1vzgg

-This is my build up to date, with those whom i've asked up to this point. pc part picker has done a great job at helping me figure this out.

Swap that monitor for a refurbished one and it drops about $~30. I have yet to do the math, but I know both Amazon and Newegg have free shipping deals.

I was thinking the quad version of the FX 8000 series would be a better fit, considering this is planning on being a gaming rig, just wanted to throw that out there. I also want it to be fairly multi-purpose and future proof at the same time. (I'm happy with a cheaper AM3+ socket chip, I found out that I can get an aftermarket AM3 Phenom fairly cheap, so if I can get that I think I'll go for it instead and sock the money away for some more powerful upgrades as AMD improves their lineup.

The monitor I plan on lasting a while, as well as the GPU. I don't plan on upgrading it unless it's to go for some crossfire. Someone mentioned getting nVidia instead of ATI to take advantage of PhysX, even though my gut says most games don't really care about PhysX.

I'm fairly set on AMD CPU for now, unless there's a big (like 15 C temp difference) between the two.

Graphics- I've toyed with getting the 7950 instead of the 7870 (Do you think the extra $30 boost would be worth it?) Newegg's running a rebate, but I also don't want to be counting on that.

Thoughts? Things you think I missed?

I honestly haven't found a keyboard that I like beside the wave styles. I've ordered a high-dpi mouse for $30-40, I'll give a review when it comes.

I plan on gaming (an oculus rift is on its way... eventually) maybe not super frequently, but when I do, I want that power to be there, but I also don't want to overkill it with a 7990, lol.

I have a PSU I could use, but it's only 330 W.

If you think a 600 W PS would be ideal, do you think I could in the future upgrade/add a new card to it, or stick with the 750 one?

I'm going to do the math for the shipping when i'm looking for a good rig, to see if the shipping + tax will be best to get from Amazon/Newegg only, or if I should get the parts from the aforementioned listed vendors.

mobo- I'm pretty stuck with it unless there's a convincing argument for a cheaper combo. Right now AMD seems to be doing the best job price/perf ratio wise, and the temp problems sound like have been fixed with the Vishera's.

Post subject: Re: Back from Mission, time for new rig
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:09 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I take it the budget is around $1000?

If this is a gaming build, then a better GPU now will go a long way later. But this is dependent on how anal you are about how much quality you want and how many frames per second you desire. If you don't care about lowering quality or can deal with less than smooth, then the one you picked will do pretty well for everything.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:53 am 
Northwood
Northwood

What would you suggest? Consider also that I'm leaning towards a radeon 7950.

I've seen Geforce 760 4GB, but the processors are actually lower than in the Radeon 7950- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130944

I'm checking tomshardware. BRB

EDIT:

i was looking for a cheap SSD. I think This SSD SLC would be a good fit. On the other hand there's this one that's MLC for $90 + free shipping. (Both have free shipping, I'm thinking the first one, it's only a $20 increase, and SLC is supposed to be better)

That MPC article made me want a samsung one. I hope they weren't paid to give good reviews on Samsung! :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:25 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can't compare NVIDIA and AMD directly with their numbers. The only thing you can do is compare benchmark scores, like http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/855?vs=854