Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Case advice sought
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:35 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

For years, every mobo I've ever used has been 7.8" wide and has fit in my generic mid-tower case just fine.

My lastest mobo - Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 - is 9.6" wide, and that was a big problem shoehorning it into my case. When I finally got it in there, the connectors for the chassis fan, power, IDE, and the two IDE-mode SATA ports were all behind the hard drive cage (removable, thank God). I had to bend the wires down - hard - to make sure the connectors on the board were unstressed and didn't break off.

I've been looking for a modern-day equivalent of an Antec 1030/Chieftec Dragon/Chenming tower and coming up empty. All I can find are fugly, expensive gamer cases with unnecessary windows, or way too many 120-140mm grilles and blowholes that allow dust in and noise out. I see cases with handles on the top. I even see cases with USB ports and power switches on the top panel. No good... my PC sits under a fixed shelf. All of them are at least 8 or 9 inches wide. Uh, no thanks. My present case is 6.5" wide (as well as 17" high and 17" deep). I could go up to 24" tall and 20" deep, but anything more than 8" wide is a trip hazard. Hell, even a Dragon had two 80mm fan holes on the front and two in the back. All I would have to do is put in four 80mm Noctuas, slip some filter foam in front of the front fans for dust control and I'd be perfectly happy. I have four hard drives and two optical drives, yet I don't need a separate graphics card. It's in a bedroom, and it's used for folding, and as a print and storage server.

Any ideas? Or am I just 10 years too late?

Post subject: Re: Case advice sought
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:56 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The problem here is you invested in something that was old (I'm assuming you have these fans in possession). Case design has moved on since 10 years ago and bigger fans are key rather than a bunch of smaller fans. They move more air for less noise. The good thing though is that the motherboard is a MicroATX board, so we can get a smaller case. If you want a starting point for things that aren't ricey, look for cases by Antec, Bit-Fenix, Fractal Design, Corsair, Lian-Li, and SilverStone.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:33 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

All right, I'll see what those brands offer; thanks for the guidance.

I am curious, though... say I find a case that looks okay and will hold all my parts, that's great. Do I just run a front intake fan with a filter and a rear exhaust fan, and cover the remaining blowholes and grilles? The room the PC is in is extremely dusty. I have a foam filter on my present case and I have to wash it every week. Some cases even have slotted/open/mesh/perforated expansion slot covers, and perforations on the rear. I'll have to tape those over to keep dust out. And a PSU with a fan that's mounted on the bottom of the case? Without a filter, out of the question.

This Antec ONE is a great example. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129181

I do own two of the 80mm fans already; I only got them like two years ago, and that means four more years of warranty coverage :lol:

The case I have now I got second-hand for free; my public library tossed one of their workstations. It previously held a 650MHz P-III MSI full ATX board (which I kept) in it that ran Win XP Pro. The thing is, if this case were just three inches deeper front-to-back, I wouldn't be complaining.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:46 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

In your case, you should have more intake fans than exhaust. Ideally what I see here if you can't create a straight channel of airflow (such as in my case, the SilverStone FT02), create only one side of exhaust, which will no doubt be where the PSU is.

If you have more intake than exhaust, you create a clean room environment basically. The air pressure inside the case is greater than the air pressure outside the case, therefore, air will leak out and keep dust away. I'm convinced this works really well, at least for the FT02 since I haven't found a significant buildup of that fine dust that you can never get rid of in when the hardware's been in the case for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:56 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Ahh, I see. Positive case pressure. Any dust will be collected at an intake fan filter, and the case will be pressurized to move dust away from all the other openings. Now I get it. Right now, my case is negative pressure, because that's the only way I can move air across the hard drives.

Or I could just get this: http://www.directron.com/csartsa120.html :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:10 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you have front fan mounts, you should be able to point them inward and just use some mother necessity to filter them if you can't squeeze a filter in otherwise.

I'm also under the belief that parts that need airflow have something called a fan, and adding any more airflow to it doesn't help much (if at all). So as long as you're getting air in, that's all that matters.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:28 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

On my present case, I only have one front 80mm fan mount... below the HDD cage. The front of the cage mounts directly to a perforated front panel, with zero clearance for any fan.

Thanks for the guidance, Latios, much appreciated.