Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WHY CAN'T I JUST HIT THE BUY BUTTON
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:36 am 

I can't stress enough how the pros and cons of everything from the case down to the cooling system has me in complete fear..

"Oh that case has bad air flow, and sucks for water cooling" -thermaltake 10 gt
- then someone else totally disagrees-

". I got this motherboard and in was DOA, I sent it back, the company said I sent it back broke and now I have a paper weight that cost 400 dollars".
- Then someone else buys the same and everything works fine and they love it-

No matter what it is the CONS are scaring the crap out of me to go ahead and make a custom build.. This is my first time doing this.. I don't know anything about anything when it comes to PC but I'm a huge gamer and its my turn to level up..

I have done hours and hours of research and just when I think I'm ready I back out because I'm scares I'm going to buy some crap that doesn't work..

Should I just go head and say the heck with it...

Thermal take gt 10 ( white) - $250

CPU - Intel i7-3770k - 3.5 ghrz quad core - $350
Cooling fan- H100i -$110

Motherboard- MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX-$250 or
- ASUS MAXIMUS V Extreme- $400

Gpu- GeForce Gtx 690- $ 1000 or
~ Gtx 680-$480

Sound card- ASUS Xonar Essence STX $177

Optics- Pioneer Electronics USA 15x SATA Internal BD/DVD/CD Burner with 4 MB Buffer BDR-208DBK. $ 60

Memory- corsair vengeance -$120 (16gb) 2x8

SSD - Samsung 840 evo - $600

HDD-

*** BE SURE AND GET HDD AND OPTICAL DRIVES IN SATA***
***{^* someone recommended that I get another hdd drive for movies documents and games that don't need the ssd*}

Power supply- thermal take 850w ATX power supply .-$. 140

Sent from my iPad

Post subject: Re: WHY CAN'T I JUST HIT THE BUY BUTTON
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:08 pm 

Well first I would tell you don't sweat it.
As far as everyone's opinion what i look at is that IF 500 people bought that case or mobo or cpu and it still has an average of 4.8 chances are that it will be very good.
As far as your storage goes I would recommend dialing it back a bit I would go with a samsung 840 pro 256 and a Western digital Black 1 or 2 Terabyte HD.For 469.00 you could have the SSD I mentions and a 3 terabyte HD that is 7200 rpm Sata III. I find the case is a very personal decision, If you found a case you love than don't let other change your mind. Having said that 250 is alot for a case, just saying you could get a kick ass case and save 100 bucks for a better video card. http://www.maximumpc.com/azza_genesis_9000_review And Now that the GTX 700 series are out i would try to get the current gen GPU. Water cooling is the similar to your case choice its personal. Also I would always go with the current gen cpus if you are going to the trouble of building a new PC make sure your buying the current gen, right now that is socket 1150 Haswell!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:19 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
first off, that cpu will not work with either of those motherboards. the cpu is a socket 1155, and the motherboards are socket 1150. you would need a 4770k (cost a little more)(on sale at egg) to work with those boards. do not trust reviews on egg most people that like something do not write a review, mostly someone that is unhappy with something, 2000 sold and 20 bad reviews do not make it a bad product.

if your building for gaming, 8gig is more than enough, 16 is a waste of money unless you use software (photoshop etc.) that can use it, I don't think any game can use it all.

case is kinda personal, but for 250 it should be quality, that is a lot for a case.

a thousand for an older generation video card would be a waste when for the same money you can get a current generation titan that will outperform it.

I personally would get a smaller (256gig) ssd and a data disk of a terabyte or two as a secondary for less money and just as good performance.

I use a 850w thermal take psu and have never had a problem with it.

I would also use the motherboard sound which is pretty good now days. unless you really need it. you can always add it later if you are not happy with it.

my opinion, have fun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:46 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Just remember...

Customers who've had a horrible time with a product are more likely to put in a customer review than if they had a good time with the product. And if really 5% of people who bought the product had a DOA, then the manufacturing today is pretty terrible. I don't really read customer reviews on a 4/5 or above product, because chances are it's great. If I get a DOA, okay. I RMA it. And people who whine about how the company claimed they ruined the board, well, they don't really tell much else other than that. What if the customer really did bend a pin or something? Or didn't properly package it? Or something else? And usually products with less than that do have a glaring issue with them that isn't a case by case basis.

If you find a part, go look up a professional review, like on Tom's Hardware or Anandtech (or use Google). That should have most of the weight of whether or not you want to buy something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:28 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
I can't stress enough how the pros and cons of everything from the case down to the cooling system has me in complete fear

Welcome to building computers! And I completely understand your fears. Like everything else in life, there are no guarantees.

Reading reviews from MaxPC, Anandtech, et al. is great...BUT they can't review every piece of hardware. Personally, I do use reviews on Newegg and Amazon as a resource, but you have to evaluate the legitimacy of the reviews:

"DOA. Never buy again!!!" is not a good review
"Pros: Everything Cons: Nothing" is not a good review either

Try to find reviews that provide details. You wouldn't believe how often I've found troubleshooting validation or support by reading reviews. And read both good and bad. Get a sample.

In general, I look at the reviews as a whole. If 75% of the reviews are 4 & 5s, chances are it's a pretty good product. I would even go as low as 70%. If it's a 50/50 split (half 5 star, half 1 star), that's harder but to LatiosXT's point, more people will write a poor review than a good one.

As for the HDD, there are two main reasons to use a primary drive and a data drive. First, since SSDs are so expensive, you can use a smaller SSD (I recommend 250GB) to house your OS, games and applications, but then use your HDD to house your files (pictures, documents, even less used applications). Second, if your primary drive fails you can re-install your OS and still have all your data.

Hope this helps.