Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Custom PC Build under $1000
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:12 pm 

Hey everyone, first post here, and also first time building a custom PC. Would appreciate any advice/feedback that you can give me about my proposed build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: Rosewill 450W ATX12V / EPS12V
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD. This will store the OS and system files.
HDD: One 1.5 TB hard drive that I currently have in an external enclosure, but I will install it as a secondary storage drive in this PC, and will store all my user data and software development repos.
GPU: none (I don't intend to play games on this system)
(Complete PCPartPicker list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mrk2010/saved/2adh)

Intended Use: Mostly for software development. I will be running the Eclipse IDE for Android development, so I will be running a lot of VMs to test the apps I develop. I'll probably also do some photo editing/graphic design, and web development in HTML/CSS/JS. I don't intend to use it for gaming. I'll occasionally do some web browsing and play some videos on it, although I will likely use my MacBook Pro for that, which will sit beside my custom build in a "dual monitor" setup (it won't be a true dual monitor setup since one monitor will be for my MBP while the other monitor will be for my custom build, and I'll use Synergy to use the same mouse/keyboard for both).

My main concerns are:
1) Is the 450W PSU enough to power this build?
2) Is 16 GB of RAM appropriate for my intended use (software development in an IDE with VMs running at the same time), or is it overkill?
3) For my intended use, will there be a noticeable difference between 1333 MHz RAM and 1866 MHz RAM?
4) Is 250 GB for the SSD overkill for just installing the OS? What kind of files should be stored on the SSD vs the HDD?

Post subject: Re: Custom PC Build under $1000
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:34 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Quote:
1) Is the 450W PSU enough to power this build?

Yes.
Quote:
2) Is 16 GB of RAM appropriate for my intended use (software development in an IDE with VMs running at the same time), or is it overkill?

It depends on how many and what OS. Though this is the only time where I feel that 16GB of RAM is OK.
Quote:
3) For my intended use, will there be a noticeable difference between 1333 MHz RAM and 1866 MHz RAM?

No.
Quote:
4) Is 250 GB for the SSD overkill for just installing the OS? What kind of files should be stored on the SSD vs the HDD?

For install the OS, yes. The perk of an SSD is more or less about its responsiveness less so its transfer speed. So things you should put on the SSD are programs and the like. Data files, like pictures and documents, should go on the HDD.

The only other thing I don't like is the case. I've had an Antec 900. It was decent, but cleaning it was a bitch and it'd get dusty every few weeks. I would recommend something from Corsair or NZXT. I would also see about getting a MicroATX or MiniITX build in here since you're not putting in much hardware.

Post subject: Re: Custom PC Build under $1000
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:30 pm 

Thanks for the advice LatiosXT. I've decided to go with the lower-capacity 120 GB Samsung SSD, which will save me ~$75.

As for the case, what do you think of these two?
Corsair Carbide Series 500R
NZXT Guardian Tower Black 921RB

I tried looking at MicroATX and MiniITX, but seems like there are slim pickings.

Also, do you think it would be worth getting a better motherboard? What company makes the best motherboards?