Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Samsung 840-series (Pro & Non-Pro) SSD
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:25 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Has anyone here used a Samsung 840 series SSD for longer than 6 months?
I'm thinking of getting a 512GB for my laptop, but some of the reviews I've read said they died within 1-2 months of use (that was maybe 1% of the NewEgg reviews I read, but it still concerns me).

Anyone have any opinions? MaxPC gave the series a 8/9 verdict, which to me, is still pretty good. Samsung (in my opinion) is good, I like their TVs, at least.

Post subject: Re: Samsung 840-series (Pro & Non-Pro) SSD
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:30 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I've had an 830 for almost 2 years and a 840 for over a month and a half now and they're still doing fine.

Here's the thing, people are more likely to write a negative review than they are a positive one. And for computer hardware (I'm sure this applies to most products), it's either going to fail within 30 days or so because of a factory defect (in which case, you just ship it back to the factory for RMA), or it's going to fail many years later (because it's pretty much done). So if you're paranoid about this, don't store anything important for the first 30 days you have it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:21 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I second LatiosXT's words, I bought a Corsair Force Series 120Gb SSD a while back, from a local store...refurb...damn good price....that was oh 2 years ago, still working to this day and lovin' my laptop's 15 second boot time from cold.

With most PC hardware...what I've found, is if it lasts more than...oh 72 hours straight (my usual burn in time for new systems and components) it'll last a few years. If during a 72 hour burn in it fails... well, since I buy locally it usually means a quick exchange. SSDs for the most part, work reasonably well aside from a batch here or there with botched firmware...usually manufacturers will cover that, with that said, as the above poster said, don't store important stuff on the SSD for at least a month...and don't be afraid to do at least a 72 hour straight burn...that'll give you an idea on if it'll live or not for a long time to come.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:40 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

That is what backup and a warranty is for. A 2% fail rate would sadly be pretty good for a drive.

nbrowser's advice is insane. SSDs have a finite lifespan dictated by the number of rewrites to its chips. While the number of rewrites before degrading to failing is huge, running a rewrite burnin for 72 hours straight on your chips would seriously degrade the drive's lifespan especially the faster the drive's writes the more rewrites would occur within 72 hours time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:57 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Yeah, it's probably not a good idea to do a write burn-in test with an SSD. I mean, if you wanted to 'stretch it out' per se, then maybe a few full capacity writes, but that's it.