Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Upgrade laptop: HD to SSD or dual core to quad core
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:16 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

OK, I've got a bit of a problem. My laptop (which is about a year old) is getting rather slow. Even after a fresh re-install of Windows, it just has too much to load on startup (most of which I need to start when the computer starts...)

So, my question becomes this (And I can only afford to do one or the other--not both).

I found that I can upgrade the CPU to a quad core (i7 3612QM) --or-- replace the hard drive (which is a SATA 6.0 Gbps drive) with an SSD (I was looking at a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro). Cost-wise, they are about the same. The proc would cost about the same (plus or minus $50) as the SSD.

I tend to do video work (and I Have a dedicated Gpu--Nvidia NVS 5400) in the laptop, and it works fine. It's more the multi-tasking that's an issue. No games.
And most general tasks (typing, Internet, music, watching video, some photo editing).

So now the big question is: which upgrade would be more effective and boot performance the most? My lacking component from what I can see is a the hard drive, coming in at 5.9 according toe WEI, whereas the processor is getting a 7.0+ according to WEI. FYI my cad and graphics programs do tend to write a lot of data to the drive, so this will need to be considered too (in that I need a drive that is durable enough to deal with this stuff on a daily basis).

Post subject: Re: Upgrade laptop: HD to SSD or dual core to quad core
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:48 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

An SSD is always going to benefit you more in load times than a CPU, because the HDD is a bottleneck.

Post subject: Re: Upgrade laptop: HD to SSD or dual core to quad core
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:12 pm 

I would recommend the SSD as it greatly increases boot times and overall usefulness: I put SSDs in my ancient netbook (with a poor SATAII implementation) and my old macbook pro (with only SATA I) and they are like new machines. The responsiveness is amazing, waiting for programs to load on windows startup or after clicking an icon to initiate them is a thing of the past. Before the SSD the netbook was unusable for over a minute after log-in and the macbook took almost as long. Now the netbook is ready to rock in under 10 seconds after login and the macbook is so speedy (both in Win7 & OSx) that I can't really time it. The SSD should also load your video files much faster, though depending on what your editing program of choice keeps in RAM (and how much RAM you have) the benefits of this might not be Earth-shatteringly astounding. They'll still be astounding though, especially if you pick up that Samsung 840 Pro :D

I agree with the previous poster that when it comes to loading bottlenecks the slower-than-slow HDD is the #1 suspect, especially on Windows startup. Also a laptop HDD is easier to upgrade than its processor.