Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: RAM voltage & OCing - which V is best?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:08 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

As mentioned in an earlier thread I mentioned I would be building a rig shortly. This is the 2nd in a series of questions.

I plan on doing some OCing of the CPU - nothing "extreme"...BUT...depending on the speeds/temps I'm reaching with basic OCing techniques, I may try to adjust the CPU voltage (mainly to say I've done it).

Which got me wondering about RAM. Most RAM comes in one of 3 flavors: 1.35V, 1.5V & 1.65V. Since I am not well versed in volts, amps, watts and everything else electrical, I have some questions that I hope some of our OCers can help.
  • If I adjust the CPU voltage during the OC, will that impact the RAM? More importantly, will I have to adjust the voltage on the RAM?
  • Does higher voltage rated RAM provide additional headroom in OCing, or am I mixing up terminology? For example, could I OC 1.65V RAM higher than 1.5V RAM because the former is rated at 1.65V (therefore, it can achieve a higher voltage status)?

If anyone knows of a good, easy-to-understand website that provides some background on voltage and spells out the different RAM voltages and their differences, I would love to look at it.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Post subject: Re: RAM voltage & OCing - which V is best?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:38 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kNWMfAaVj0

Maybe this video can help. In any case, I believe overvolting can allow more speed, but you have to start tweaking with the refresh cycles.

Post subject: Re: RAM voltage & OCing - which V is best?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:11 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Stay away from anything over the std. 1.5V. It is crap RAM. If you want to overvolt for whatever reason do so with 1.5V RAM. The one exception is where it is overclocked at phenomenal speed, such as 2,133MHz RAM and a 1.5V stick is unavailable. Here the stick maker guarantees the speed at a specified overvoltage. Be aware overvolting beyond 1.6V on the newer CPUs is a real dicey lifespan issue. Also exceeding 1,866MHz on an modern AMD or 1,600MHz on an modern Intel CPU results in very, very limited gain. Actually the gain over running DDR3 at 800MHz isn't that much attesting to the incredibly efficient L2 and L3 cache algorithms designed into the CPU (this was even true with DDR2).

It is possible 1.35V RAM (which is supported as well by socket 1150 CPUs) will overvolt well to 1.5V. Otherwise I see little reason to buy it in a performance system where the trifling amount of energy saved seems pretty meaning less to me. Now in a low watt system where eeking as much performance per watt is desired then it does.