Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PC build for Aunt?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:01 pm 

Recently my Aunt asked me to build her a desktop pc for home use since I've built myself a few rigs of my own. I am a gamer so I put a few thousand into my pc's. Needless to say she doesn't need any of that stuff so I started to price one out and realized...I don't know anything about building a "normal" household pc. I want it to be cheap, yet good, of course. My Aunt and Uncle will use it for storing pictures, and small videos they've taken with Iphones and such. Playing card games and accessing the Interwebz. No gaming, video editing, or photoshopping or anything like that so integrated graphics and an I3 processor will work great. I want there to be room to upgrade though. Maybe one day throw in a gpu and an I5 when it's necessary. Price range is $500 US or lower. Don't need the OS since they already have Windows 7. I would love to hear some ideas so I can set a starting point to this build.

Post subject: Re: PC build for Aunt?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:33 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

I strongly doubt that they'll ever need an i5 nor a GPU for the use cases that you describe. Here's what I would suggest:

CPU: Intel i3 3220
Motherboard: ASRock H77M
RAM: Mushkin 4GB DDR3-1600
SSD: Samsung 840 120GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB
PSU: Corsair CX430
Case:Fractal Design Core 1000

Total Cost (not including shipping & taxes): $492.93 (that's newegg only though, you can probably go lower if you shop around)

This should provide all the performance that they're likely to need for a good long bit. If for some reason it comes up that they want to put in an i5 or a GPU then this system will still be able to handle it fine although it may potentially need a PSU upgrade if you upgrade both the GPU & CPU.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:22 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you want to pinch even more on money, drop the SSD and the processor to a Intel Pentium G860. And before you go "wouldn't that be too slow?" Not really. I have a laptop with a Pentium 2020M and it's slower than the G860, but for normal casual use, I have no issues with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:51 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Why not an AMD APU? Just a thought.

Also, instead of an SSD and an HDD, how 'bout 1 250GB SSD? Probably comparable in price to the 2 storage units, plus should be plenty of room (unless your aunt & uncle take gobs of pictures).

Unless they are familiar with storage and where "stuff" goes, any time I look at someone's computer with more than one storage device, I usually notice everything is on the C: drive and the storage drive is completely empty.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:16 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

btdog wrote:
Unless they are familiar with storage and where "stuff" goes, any time I look at someone's computer with more than one storage device, I usually notice everything is on the C: drive and the storage drive is completely empty.

Derailing this for a bit.

There's an easy way to solve this: move the users folder to the data drive. Chances are most people are only comfortable with Libraries and user folder and don't touch the drives. Doing this will save everything to the data drive without them knowing any better. It also has a hidden benefit. If you need to reinstall the OS, there's no need to back anything up (well, you should, but you don't have to). When you reinstall, repeat the process.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:40 pm 

Cool thanx for the tips. I went with the I3 anyways and dropped it down to a HDD. Was gonna go with an SSD but they don't even know what an SSD is and wont know the difference anyways. The small pc that I build them will be FAR faster than they are used to using already so they will be happy and it will be cheaper.