Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MediaServer, Development, and Gaming
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:49 am 

Hello,

This is my first time posting here as well as the first time attempting to build a computer.

This is what I've put together so far and wanted to get some advice as to how it looks.
Newegg Wishlist: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=20209831

There are a number of things I would like to do with this computer. First, I want the ability to play games at mid-high settings. I also would like to use the computer for development projects including CUDA. I want to use the computer as a media server as well.

Right now I want just a normal 1TB HD, but ultimately I want one of these SSHD: http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-dr ... rid-drive/. Once the SSHD become available, I want to use the original HD to store media and then SSHD for booting/installing programs.

I included the extra sound card because I've got a basic midi-keyboard I like to mess around with from time to time.

I'm leaning toward not getting an optical drive.. is this wise? I don't really want to get one for the sole purpose of installing an operating system, but I'm not sure what I would use one for besides DVD/Blu-ray backups.. My laptop hasn't had one for a couple of years now and it's never been a problem.

So yeah, that's what I've put together so far. There is a huge chance I might have overlooked something so please bear with me haha.. It's my first time and any/all advice is much appreciated! I'm here to learn :)

Post subject: Re: MediaServer, Development, and Gaming
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:53 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You don't need the network card, the motherboard has ethernet already. The soundcard also won't support your keyboard, because the port there is a game port, you're looking for a MIDI port (it's a DIN-5 connector).

You also don't need an optical drive if you can't find a use for it, but you will have to find some other means of installing the OS. Luckily there's plenty of tutorials on how to get a Windows install image on a USB disk.