Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: First major build
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:29 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Alright I've upgraded and fixed up older systems before plenty of times but I never truly have built up my own system from the ground up. So I've been looking and believe i have a list set for a good base unit with room to grow. Here is the list of planned parts granted with not all yet ordered some may change.

Note: all thigns os far based on new egg prices.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard price: 134.99

Intel i5-3350P 3.1ghz Ivy bridge quad core price: 179.99

Cooler master HAF-922 case price 99.99

Nivdia Geforce GTX 760 GPU price 259.99

Thermaltake SMART Series SP-750PCBUS 750W ATX 12V 2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power supply price99.99

G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model price 131.99

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Price: 69.99

LG 24X DVD Burner - Bare Drive Black SATA Model price 18.49

Windows 7 Professional 64bit OS OEM version price 139.99

Total cost is slated to be about 100 bucks. I think it's a good set up and should be a decent gaming and everyday use system.

Last edited by Tellos on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: First major build
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:23 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Welcome to the forums! Hope you have as much fun as we do. And if you can help, don't hesitate to speak up.

Few things:
  • Socket 1155 is finished - there will be no new CPUs coming out for that socket. You can find a similar priced mobo and CPU with the 1150 socket...or you can try AMD's AM3+ - AMD tends to stretch their socket life farther.
  • Where did you find that CPU? I can't find it anywhere.
  • You said you're around $1000 - list the prices next to your components - we might know of a better deal or comparable component that costs less.
  • Do you really need 16GB of RAM? 8 should be sufficient. Also, 1600 is the recommended speed (you selected 1333).
  • If you can pinch a penny here, trim a dollar there, and scrimp and save, I would shoot for an SSD. I recommend 250GB but that may be a bit much. Shoot for 120GBs. Intel also has a smart cache technology which would use a 64GB SSD. Not sure if the 1150 supports the technology (maybe someone else can shed some light) but that might be another option.
  • Do you need Win 7 Pro? Will Home Premium suffice? If so, that's $30 towards another component.
  • 750W is a bit much for the build you have right now. A good 600W PSU should be more than enough.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:48 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hello back btdog on the issue of your questions.

1. I know the sockets not new I picked it for performance as the haswells are too expensive for too little extra performance. Also I won't get much power savings which is haswells main addtion and selling point from buying a vastly more expensive quality mobo.

2. i found the CPU on new egg. it's already purchased and cost 179.99 also as to prices I'll place them up tonight sometime. Keep in mind some things are not set yet and will likely change.

3. i do want the 16gb of ram partly for performance and partly for other applications i use like windows own xp mode.

4. i want windows 7 pro because of the admin functions i am in IT by trade and home will be crippling for familiarizing myself with the administrative and network stuff I need to know.

5. SSDs are too costly atm [a decent 120+gb costs more than a 2tb HDD and costs more than my motherboard] and are planned for future expansion. the caching idea works on 150 mobos too it's windows that causes people problems doing it. I plan to add an SSD later but figure a HDD will be fine to start. I plan to relegate the 1TB HDD after to data storage and back up etc.

6. The 750w power supply partly is to account for the overclocked graphics card and future additions which can include more fans and hard drives without me having to recalculate things all over.

7. Oh and as to the 1333 clockspeed, given the rates of memory speed now clockspeed is not goign to get noticed for the rather heafty price of 1600 clockspeed memory now.

also additional edit: the procs name weas typo ed i fixed it it should read i5-3350P not 2250P sorry for confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:21 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Quote:
1. I know the sockets not new I picked it for performance as the haswells are too expensive for too little extra performance. Also I won't get much power savings which is haswells main addtion and selling point from buying a vastly more expensive quality mobo.

Haswell has a lot of under the hood features that isn't just power savings and such. Things like TSX and whatnot might be useful to you if you're doing IT/server related things. Don't just look at the surface, dig deep.

Quote:
3. i do want the 16gb of ram partly for performance and partly for other applications i use like windows own xp mode.

More RAM only equals performance if you're running out of it. Having more RAM than you need doesn't improve performance at all. It just may make things more snappier because less things are being swapped.

Quote:
4. i want windows 7 pro because of the admin functions i am in IT by trade and home will be crippling for familiarizing myself with the administrative and network stuff I need to know.

Well it depends on what you really need and if there are alternatives for them. XP Mode? Virtual box with a copy of XP. Remote view? TeamViewer or Hamachi. Encryption? If you don't need the OS encrypted, TrueCrypt will work just fine.

Quote:
5. SSDs are too costly atm [a decent 120+gb costs more than a 2tb HDD and costs more than my motherboard] and are planned for future expansion. the caching idea works on 150 mobos too it's windows that causes people problems doing it. I plan to add an SSD later but figure a HDD will be fine to start. I plan to relegate the 1TB HDD after to data storage and back up etc.

Just be aware that the longer you wait to do this, the more painful it might be to do a migration without a wipe.

Quote:
6. The 750w power supply partly is to account for the overclocked graphics card and future additions which can include more fans and hard drives without me having to recalculate things all over.

A 600W PSU is still plenty. Hell, you could go down to about 500W at the minimum. Read the spoiler if you really want an explanation.

Spoiler: show
In my experience a relatively high-end system with multiple hard drives does not consume, from the wall, more than 250W using a Kill-A-Watt. The most taxing power-wise one of my systems pulled was about 350W. Overclocked graphics cards don't consume that much more power (I've had two in the power hungry system). Hard drives and fans sip power compared to the rest of the system under load.

I mean, if you're taxing the system to 100%, which as far as I know is impossible unless you're just running Prime95 and Furmark 24/7, you're not going touch over 300W.

Quote:
7. Oh and as to the 1333 clockspeed, given the rates of memory speed now clockspeed is not goign to get noticed for the rather heafty price of 1600 clockspeed memory now.

As far as I know, 1333 RAM from a decent company doesn't cost much more than 1600, which is why I've been fine recommending 1600.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:05 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

LatiosXT hello I'll attempt to address your points one by one here so I don't confuse them too badly. First this is not my server i i run a server it'll be made very different from this.

On the haswells, I have looked at them but I have to buy a APU [attached graphics system inside] which adds cost you cannot buy one that I;ve seen of the 4th gens without them unless you buy ones costing huge amounts [like high level i7s which i don't require] also many of those features you mention won't be used on this build so I spend at very least 30 to 40 bucks more for something I won't use. Also the few clients I have right now that I regularly do work for will be running chipsets older than this and so it will falter. I cannot divulge the specific server info due to the contracts i have with them and for my own professional security reasons.

I find the 16gbs will be enough for my snappiness i need as to your 1600mhzs reccomendation most require tinkering with them motherboard to get it to recognize that speed something both G.skill and Corsair have been getting complaints about. While not a HUGE set back it's a step i see no reason to do if I have no reason to. Also I have things that use up memory fast namely systems to to run virtual machines [mostly at work sites that also run Linux servers]

I want the OS encrypted yes because as a network engineer I am paranoid by nature. And I;ve found when using my old XP lap top [when I am not remote accessing terminals] each client network needs a different system because they have some protocol or spec which fouls up one of the programs. Also because some maintain policies regarding such software that i set up myself and thus refuse to break them for the same reasons I put them in the first place. I also have no none dell OS for XP pro and cannot locate one and atop of this home premium would garuntee i would have to use XP to even help some clients and one runs a system that I know XP struggles with.While all these got many fixes 7 pro will fix most much easier with less hassle and fewer issues for me. Also the money it "might save me" will go to gas having to physically connect to connect to some domain servers. [each of these disallows remote ff site connections due to how sensitive the data is]

On the SSD i planed to do a whipe already going into this build and i doubt I'll wait longer than a year tops I just currently don't have the additional money to spend on less space for a performance boost while having to now rely on my external drive alone for storage or spend MORE money to buy two drives to use one for storage.

As to the power supply sure if you can find me a good one that does not cost 180 bucks. Fact is I may have to buy more fans anyways and my planned expansions will bump the power needs. The 750 one I found is 100 bucks and a good unit I save nothing by lowering it and risk too low of a PSU. Also most other professionals I;ve spoken with some my friends have noted lower than 600 is risking it with my system.

Anyways hope this addresses what you mentioned. it's not that your advice is unsound it's my circumstances forced my hand. Also reguarding the CPU I already have it, the OS and the Case at home their the now set items. Mobo is bascially set too now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:39 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

An APU is an AMD thing. All Intel chips come with GPUs inside of them... Which actually, if you're not doing any gaming, why are you even including a video card?

Haswell systems recognize 1600MHz by default. And all motherboards that don't natively support faster speeds need tweaking regardless of brand. I've also used Corsair RAM and never had an issue with getting the system to use the speed the RAM was rated for.

And no offense to your friends, but I don't think they understand what they're talking about. Using http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine, without the video card (because I don't see why you need it), then the system is expected to pull 234W at 90% load, which I'm inclined to believe this is everything working at 90%. Even if you threw in the video card, it's about 340W. And this is with 6 HDDs and all the fan mounts in the case occupied. Given from what I've observed about various power supply reviews, PSUs achieve peak efficiency at about 50%-60% load, so 500W-650W is about where you should be at.

And if you need a quality power supply at the lower wattage mark: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151094 . If you need something at the higher wattage mark: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817139020

Before you go "but I get less of a watts/cost!". Well, Seasonic is the OEM for high-end PSUs for other brands. Corsair is also a highly recommend brand. Hardly anyone I come across recommends Thermaltake. So if you want reliability, then there you go.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:43 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I do plan to game actually or I'd not use the graphics card. This has to do alot of stuff until my planned new lap top for work. So please before you assume I was getting a card for no reason check on why it's there. All my other Pcs finally died out only my old Lattitude 10L remains working and I;ve replaced the bulb once on it already it's 8 years old. Also it's not them otherboard itself it's the memory corsairs vengeance line has had this issue in reveiws and corsairs admitted they do this on purpose. Again also what is 1600mhzs gonna do?

Also Manfucaturer says card should have a min of 500ws to run assuming stock specs. OC version likely requires abit more. [yes I know from the whole system needing 500ws]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:41 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ok looking just breifly at the power supply you posted the 650w could be useful I just need to be sure sometime it is not the one getting complaints of super tight connectors. Sorry for double post btw phones horrible for editing. I will say this I do understand the concept of higher clockspeed memory but I see having 16gbs of it as enough snappyness and just do not see the logic in getting faster memory but being told I have too much at once.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:38 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

If you feel you need 16GB, by all means get it.

I don't mean to belabor the point, but when people ask us to look at their build and they have 16GB listed, I ask them if the truly need it. Generally speaking 8GB is more than adequate for most people -getting 16GB yields little benefit and essentially doubles the expense when the money could be used elsewhere.

To your other point - 1600 v. 1333 - you are absolutely correct...most people will see no discernible difference between the 2 speeds. However, when you can get the 1600 for about the same price as (sometimes less than) 1333, why not?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:15 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I admit I feel i need and also want the 16gbs of memory it was a spec i desired. I likely would not in a gaming lap top mind you and sorry if I came off wrong I was not attempting to blow off all your guys advice as if it were silly. I simply feel the memory bit is where it needs to be in terms of gbs. Far as 1600 i have usually seen it more at least 15 to 20 dollars more minimum for the same amount of memory. I'd be fine if it cost the same then the extra hoops sometimes I have to jump through would be less of an annoyance I simply dont feel paying in this case MORE specificly for a slightly faster cock speed is worth the possible hassle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:55 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ok added an addition I am thinking of buying a additional intake fan for the side of the HAF 922. Help keep the GPU and such cooler also give me positive air flow [I think thats the term] to help passively kick out dust. Looking at a cooler master case fan but this does change my power needs a tad I am possibly looking to using the 650w one recommended above.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:38 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

A side fan is an excellent idea. And, yes, it's called positive pressure. Generally speaking, front and side are intake; top and back are exhaust.

As for power consumption, an extra fan is negligible, so you're good there too.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:41 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ok another addition I'll have to make since my rooms always seem to be no matter where i go the stuffiest ones I was thinking of getting a after market fan for my CPU but rather not if i don't need to. I already know I'd be going with an arctic silver thermal paste and really the only thing to think but the CM hyper 212 evo is defiantly a tall one i atm am unsure if even my case will hold it successfully.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:02 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hmm no comments well suppose I can avoid the extra cooler unit then but I will once more thank everybody for the input before I relegate this thread to a normal demise unless anybody else has more to add.