Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Any comments on this $2K Haswell build?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:19 am 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1iMej

Not included in that list is the RAZER Kraken Pro headset -- $80, that brings the total to $1,926.09. I would have gone with Dell UltraSharp U2413 for $500 but that pushes $184 over budget.

Post subject: Re: Any comments on this $2K Haswell build?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:25 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Any reason you're going with Win 7 Pro, and not Home Premium? For most people, Home Premium will suffice. I ask, because that's an extra $30 ($50 if you find W7 on sale) that you can put towards a bigger SSD. I think the sweet spot for SSDs right now is 250GBs.

Along the same lines of saving money, is there a reason you selected the Maximus 6? Depending on your future plans, you can probably find a motherboard with all the bells & whistles you need for $150-180. You could look at ASRock, MSi, or Gigabyte.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:58 am 

*this is an edited post yet again as of 5:30CDT*

Thanks for the feedback btdog.

But, I decided to switch around the cpu, motherboard, and gpu. Some of you might be laughing, but here is the current list:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1j7BW

I plan on getting that 4770k cpu from Microcenter, it's only $280 there. I can really use those hyperthreads for things like video editing and the extra $40 more over the 4670k is honestly worth it to me. I chose the Sabertooth motherboard in a bid for "reliability" since it has one of the best warranties out there -- 5 years. Newegg did a really thorough youtube video on its features and Asus chose the best components, including 10k capacitors. The GPU was a big toss-up between the 7970Ghz, 7950, gtx 770, gtx 770 classified, and 2 gtx 760's in SLI. Again trying to "semi" future proof, decided on the ***770 CLASSIFIED***. I've had good success buying high-quality parts from the start, and that's lead me to semi decent resale value, even after 4-5 years. No need for blu-rays. I decided to go with win7 home premium in an effort to put more money towards the video card. The next step up would have been the gtx 780 -- but I can't spare the extra $150 for that.

Done everything correctly and after mail in rebates, I get a total of $2,000.89. Hoping that 650w psu will hold up though, idk...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:17 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Get Win7 Pro if you ever feel you might need more than 16GB of ram in the next x years you keep that PC...home premium is limited to 16GB. Also, why get a G500 mouse for $53 when you can grab the brand new G500S for $59? The G500s includes fixes and better durability over the G500.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:51 am 

Masterchi wrote:
Get Win7 Pro if you ever feel you might need more than 16GB of ram in the next x years you keep that PC...home premium is limited to 16GB. Also, why get a G500 mouse for $53 when you can grab the brand new G500S for $59? The G500s includes fixes and better durability over the G500.

Using the memory configuration I already have, 16GB will be the max anyway since I'm buying 2 4gig dimms now. I needed to squeeze every dollar towards the gpu since the 770 classified is a marketable increase over the 7970Ghz. I thought long and hard about 2 (out of stock) SuperClocked 760's in SLI but finally decided to go with the classified. The g500 is apparently a recent price increase, it was $47 when I added it (looks like it still is, probably a bug on pcpartpicker.) I can't find the g500s on newegg or amazon. Also got some additional advice that 650w would be leaving the system thin, so I decided on a slightly pricier corsair 850w.

Slightly updated list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1jb4O
Buying everything from amazon and newegg with shipping and after rebates: $2,053.20

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:52 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Ah, I should've butted in here a while ago :P

So I see a few things that I would change.

• I would still reconsider the processor, as http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/836?vs=837 shows that for a lot of tests, you don't get that much improvement. So I would look into it some more. And honestly, unless every second of rendering time saved means something of high value (i.e., this is your job or similar), cut the cost on the processor to spend on something else you may want.
  • While a longer warranty indicates better quality control, I still don't see a justification in buying a $250 motherboard unless you plan on using it to its fullest. Dropping down to something like $150 will still get you nice low-level features like SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 ports. I stress this a lot because the reality is, most motherboards perform basically the same. The more expensive ones just have nice-to-have features that people rarely need or will use.
  • Consider the regular Samsung 840. You're not going to notice any performance gap.
  • If you're getting and sticking to a single video card setup, you can drop the PSU down to 600W-650W. A single card setup won't chew up any more than 250W off the wall, based on my observations of builds past. A two card system with two midrange cards will eat about 400W under load and I wouldn't expect a high end system to eat more than 500W. So you have plenty of room here if you drop it down.

And while I'm sure you're worried about reliability, it was beaten to me over the head that parts are generally reliable regardless of warranty as long as they come from a reputable company. Parts that are doomed will fail within a period of a few weeks (so you should stress your system during this time). If they survive that, then they're pretty much going to survive until you grow bored and want a new system. I've had parts from a wide range of warranties last me well beyond their warranty period, with the exception of power supplies (but those are easily replaceable).