Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: RAID 5 upgrade
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:45 am 

Hello all!

I'm in need of upgrading my RAID 5 setup as I'm out of space and don't want to delete anything.

The current system I have is:
Server 2008 R2 x64

Q6600
Gigabyte X48-DS5
4GB DDR2

500GB SATA II (boot)
5 x 2TB SATA II RAID 5 via onboard RAID
2 x 1TB SATA II eSATA

Antec 1200 case
Raidmax 850W PSU

I'm considering buying 4 or 5 of these 4TB drives as an upgrade. The external drive is actually cheaper than the bare drive, so bonus cases (and lol at the free nose hair trimmer now bundled). (thinking also to ebay the cases + trimmers and recoup some of the expense)

What I'm unsure about is (and am here for adivce)

a) whether or not my system will see the 4tb drives as it's an X48 and rather old.
b) from what I can gather, it's not easy to add drives to a Raid 5 without wiping the data
ie I had considered copying the data from the current Raid to 2 of the 4 TB drives, replacing the 5x2TB drives with 3x4TB, putting the data back and then adding the additional two drives to the Raid 5.

If a and b aren't possible, then i would need to get either a raid card or a new system.

Any suggestions on a 5 or 6 port raid card that is reasonably priced? hardware raid is not a must but greatly preferred.
It doesn't have to be SATA III, as what I have on the server is streamed over a local network only and speed isn't a necessity.

So far I've found a bunch on NewEgg from $40 - $400 Those would work, in giving me extra space - i could theoretically keep the current RAID and add the new one for about less than the cost of the 5 drives (would need only 4 + raid card), but having difficulty in weeding out the software raid cards.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Post subject: Re: RAID 5 upgrade
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:11 am 

As of now these are the two RAID cards that I'm considering:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6816116109
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6816116042

however, I don't recall if my board has an x4 slot, so the 2nd one may be out and I'm left with the first option.