Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Please Help! I need some advice for a Gaming Desktop build!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:41 pm 

I want to buy parts for a Gaming Desktop, but I also want to keep it cheap, so here is my build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($116.97 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec VSK-4000 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $454.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-14 19:31 EDT-0400)

I want to play PlanetSide 2, World of Warcraft, Starcraft II, Star Conflict, Guild Wars II, and maybe a few other games I find on the way. I use Steam for downloading the games (except for the Blizzard games), so I have no need for an Optical Drive. I also would like to play those games at 1920x1080. Considering that I like this build, the only things that I need help with determining is the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and what operating system I should use. For the operating system, I was thinking of Linux Ubuntu, considering that Steam might move to Linux, but now I don't know considering the fact that I couldn't find out if it was a rumour or not. All that being said, what do you think?

PS: I have Windows 7 Home if Windows 7 is a good idea. The only thing is that many gaming companies may be moving towards Windows 8 only games, so I don't know :(

PPS: If the CPU bottlenecks the GPU, will I be able to overclock it to fix the problem?

PPPS: I hope this is enough information!

Post subject: Re: Please Help! I need some advice for a Gaming Desktop bui
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:25 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Overall, good build - especially considering the budget. I'll try to answer a few of your questions/comments:
  • Keyboard & mouse are preferences, so you really just need to identify what you want and then find the components that fit your needs.
  • Most people on the board will tell you IPS is better quality and better picture, but TNs are almost as good and usually cheaper. I would look at 22-24" - Asus is a good brand; Acer is decent but quality is not quite as good (but they are usually cheaper).
  • Since you have Win7 already, I would try Linux on a trial basis. If you like it (and it has the games you want), keep it. If not, switch. Most games for the foreseeable future will support 7, so don't feel you have to use Win 8 if you don't want.
  • The CPU should not bottleneck the GPU, so you should be fine there. In a year or two, you have an upgrade path so you decide to ramp up your system.
  • To answer your question about Steam & Linux, Steam has voiced their concern on where they see Microsoft heading. In response, they have expanded (and encouraged) games to support Linux. This is a dual purpose tactic: it prepares Steam in the event they distance themselves from Windows; at the same time, it provides some "bite" behind their "bark."

Hope this helps.