Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Advice on Upgrading Video Card in Older HP Prebuilt
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:41 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Hello, I asked this question once about a year and a half ago but never got the chance to buy the card recommended at the time. I am looking to upgrade the videocard in my HP Pavillion Elite HPE-137c desktop. This is an older system which I have upgraded a little, such as putting it into Cooler Master HAF 912 case, but I cannot afford to upgrade the whole system, nor do I really want to as it does well in most things, it just has some problems playing games at higher settings like I would like to use.

Some specs on the system:
IPIEL-LA3 mATX motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Processor 2.50 GHz
8 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM memory
1 TB SATA hard drive
Blu-ray player and SuperMulti DVD burner with LightScribe Technology
Radeon HD4350 512 MB DDR2 memory
High Definition 8-Channel audio
Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/n
Lite-On 300 Watt Power Supply
Cooler Master HAF 912 case

I know the videocard needs to be compatible with PCIe x16 2.0 expansion slot. I have another power supply in mind to replace the weak one currently in the system so I just need a recommendation on a videocard that can play games like Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, The Sims 3, GTA San Andreas, GTA IV, Skyrim, the Dead Island games, and the Saints Row games at medium to high settings on a HP 2709m 27" monitor at a preferred resolution of 1920x1080 as that is the recommended resolution for the monitor.

Finally I would like to try and find a cheaper card if at all possible since this is an older system and it is likely that the CPU and RAM will bottleneck any high end card. In essence I would like to find an inexpensive card that doesn't sacrifice image quality or build quality for cost savings.

Thank you,
Scott

Post subject: Re: Advice on Upgrading Video Card in Older HP Prebuilt
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:50 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
a budget would be helpful, any pcie card will work in your slot they are backward compatable.

here is a decent card under 200.00 and it comes with 4 free games. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:53 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Sorry I forgot to include the budget in the first post, $200 is about right, though if a cheaper card can be found. I was recommendeda Radeon HD 6870 in my previous thread but they are no longer available so I am looking for something with comparable performance now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:42 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I was wondering if the XFX Radeon HD 7770 might be a reasonable upgrade from where I am now? The reviews on it seem pretty good and it is a price that is cheaper which is a big deal to me. I feel I should say that the videocard I do end up using does not need to be able to transfer to a new system as the system I have right now is likely going to remain as it is and in use for several more years so I don't want to spend more for a card that could work better with another processor that is currently out since the next time I get a new processor or likely anything other that peripherals is going to be a long way off.

Here is a link to the card I am talking about.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... llFullInfo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:21 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

yes it would be a reasonable upgrade if you are trying to save some money.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:38 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Will it be enough to up the settings on my games to a reasonably high level? Would a 550 watt PSU be able to support it reliably even if I add other devices to the system, such as another hard drive and a better wireless access card?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:10 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

will work just fine, that card needs only a 450watt psu to support the system.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:21 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Thank you, I asked about the power supply as I have one in mind that is a good brand and a good price. Although it is not in the title or original post I was wondering if you could recommend a good wireless LAN card as mine seems to be dying on me. The card would need to be a PCIe x1 slot as that is all I have avaliable on my motherboard.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:41 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

rather than use a slot, you could use an external usb wireless, I have had good luck with them in the past as long as you don't have a bunch of walls to go through or upstairs to downstairs. and it will depend on you routers capabilities.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:00 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I actually do have a lot of walls and a floor to go through as the computer is located in the basement and the router is in an office at the other end of the house on the next floor up, on top of that I am not using the slots for any thing and the computer spends most of its time close to the outer wall of the basement. It also happens to run right under the coaxial cable for my television as well as the one in the living room upstairs, which is what I think might be messing up the current wireless card, but it is one designed for the factory case with wired internal antennas they I have rigged inside the current case.