Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: When to upgrade an aging CrossFire setup?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:29 pm 

I’m writing today with what can’t be a question that only I have; when to upgrade an aging CrossFire setup. I can find a lot of opinions, but not much data.

Now, please don’t laugh at my build. I’m sure that most of these parts are familiar to you all, but I know that I have a problem with buying parts that perhaps aren’t the most popular. Currently, I’m running an i7 2600K on an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro with G.Skill Ares (PC3 12800) 16GB Ram. I’m also running a Xonar Essence STX, a small 90 GB Corsair SSD boot drive, assorted Western Digitals of the Black and Green varieties, all powered by a SeaSonic X650 Gold in an Antec P280 case. The CPU is stock-clocked at the moment and water-cooled on a substantial Koolance Exos external loop, but everything else is on case air. And yes, I’m still running Windows 7 Pro.

So here’s my question. Currently, I’m running two XFX Double D Radeon HD 6870’s (HD-687A-ZDFC) in CrossFire. Despite initial growing pains with the driver packages on these cards, they’ve been, and are still, good cards. But now I’m looking to upgrade. Throw on the fact that my board has 16x and 8x slots, and I’m really and truly stuck on where to go from here. I’d love to upgrade, as these cards are HOT, noisy, and suck power, but I can’t seem to figure out what would be a better option for me (I should mention here that the cards push two Dell UltraSharp 24’s, but I only usually game on one). Ideally, I’d love to get a single card with an upgrade to CrossFire in the future that would be better than what I have. I would want the card(s) to run cooler, be less noisy, and use less power than my existing setup. I do have a budget; 250-300 would be perfect, especially when I sell my old cards on Ebay  .

That’s really about it. Thanks so much!!

Post subject: Re: When to upgrade an aging CrossFire setup?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:58 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I would just stick with a single card and upgrade every two years. Same amount of money, same amount of performance, but less power, noise, and heat overall (and that whole microstuttering thing).

Now assuming that Crossfire has 1.9x performance at most... I think a 7950 should at least be on par. But I'd rather wait until the 8000 series.