Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question about 1st build
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:57 am 

So I'm new to this, but would like to start researching some parts for my first build.

I work with a lot of cars so I will compare building this pc to a cars perspective. My question is, what do I start with in the build and then go from? Example when working on cars, you start with the frame and work with what motor will fit, you do not want to buy a motor that will not fit in the car! Then from there you can start buying parts for the motor, like carbs and transmission, and like before you tend fit those to the motor you have since not all parts fit on a single given motor. Hopefully you catch my drift here a see where I am going with this!

What I don't want to do is spend 6 hours finding a gpu and CPU and the find out it won't work with the mobo I picked out, or whatever. So where is a good place to start?

Post subject: Re: Question about 1st build
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:47 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The great thing about computers versus cars is that computers, more or less, are standardized. Meaning you can build from the inside out, not the outside in. For example, processors are built to fit in a socket. Once you've selected your processor, you find a motherboard with that socket. Then you find a case that fits the motherboard, which is also neat because larger cases can fit smaller motherboards (they use standardized mounting holes). Add-on cards like video cards fit in the same slot too, the only consideration you have to worry about is when you get into small cases, but if you're not building a small-as-possible computer, this isn't something you have to worry about.

So what it really boils down to now is what you're going to use this computer for. Gaming? Media creation? Just something to surf the web?