Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New computer build and new to building
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:16 pm 

Hello I am a physics and mechanical engineering major and I need a computer that does 3d modeling and 30+ hour mathematica processing, at the same time I am huge into gaming, but my laptop doesn't deserve the pressure on it.

I was told by a pal that instead of spending $2000 on a computer I can build one by myself and spend that much and build something twice as strong.

So I like to play games like the new Bioshock on ultra graphics, and new games on super high graphics. I like to raid playing WOW as well. I want this computer to last me a good 3-4 years without me having to update much. I have a build in mind but I don't have much of a clue on motherboards, here is my build:

1x ZALMAN Z11 Plus HF1 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

2x Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

1x MSI N780-3GD5 GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

1x CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

1x CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9

1x Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K

2x SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I have 2 SSD one for my computer when loading and the other just for gaming and processing CAD. Other then that I am confused on what a good motherboard is. I don't want to go over the top, I will spend good money on something that works, but I don't want to spend money on something I don't need. If I can get any help or any explanations on what I am getting myself into please do.

Post subject: Re: New computer build and new to building
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:19 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

2x Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Why two? Just get a 2TB drive, or a 3TB drive... or whatever gets you the most bang for your buck.

1x MSI N780-3GD5 GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card
I'd consider a GTX 770 over this. $200 cheaper, will pretty much play any game you throw at it at 1920x1200 on maximum settings easily.

1x CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Drop this to 600W or so

1x CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9
Consider getting 8GB instead. You can always add more later.

1x Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K
Drop this down to a Core i5-4670K. If you don't plan on overclocking, get the next step down.

Quote:
I have 2 SSD one for my computer when loading and the other just for gaming and processing CAD. Other then that I am confused on what a good motherboard is. I don't want to go over the top, I will spend good money on something that works, but I don't want to spend money on something I don't need. If I can get any help or any explanations on what I am getting myself into please do.

Why not put the two together in RAID 0? In any case, motherboards are just I/O backplanes primarily, so find one that has all the I/O that you need and that's it. You can skip all the fancy features if you have no desire using them.

Post subject: Re: New computer build and new to building
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:02 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Welcome to the forums! I hope you end up enjoying building as much as I do.

Few things:
  • How close to your $2000 budget did you get with your build? it's nice if you post $$ next to the components - it helps us gauge where you are in your budget. Also, if we know of a better deal we can point it out. In the end, you want to be as close to your budget as possible. If you go under, most people think they'll say "wow - I did it so much cheaper"; I've always noticed that what's actually said is "if only I bought XXX, then I could have..."
  • Think of an after market CPU cooler. The CPU will run cooler and you'll usually get the benefit of Turbo in everything you do.
  • Don't forget the OS. And is there anything else you need/want?
  • For the CPU, look at the engineering software you'll be using and see if it is optimized for multi-core. If it is, then the 4770k could still be a good option.
  • Same thing applied to the RAM - look at your engineering software and see if additional memory would be beneficial. Otherwise, I agree with Latios.
  • Personally, I think the premium price for a Gold series PSUs far exceeds the benefit you receive. I typically look for Bronze; if I can find a great deal on a Silver, I would consider that, too.
  • I also agree with Latios on the HDDs - just get one big one - I've seen some 2TB drives going for $100 or less. While on that subject, think about getting an extra HDD (maybe an external one) to back up your system.

Hope this helps.