Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WTB: RELIABLE AM3/AM3+ board with IDE
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:14 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

I've gone through two Asrock 880 GM-LE boards in 18 months because the PCI slots stop detecting my Diamond Xtreme 5.1 PCI sound card at boot or during use, totally at random. The first board did this out of the box and was RMA'd. The replacement started doing this after 18 months, just six months after the warranty ended. A replacement sound card didn't help, and the drivers are the latest available.

I need a board that's
1. long-term reliable (minimum 4-5 years)
and has
2. six SATA ports (four for immediate use (2 HDD, 2 DVD burners), two for future expansion)
3. one IDE port (2 HDD)
4. onboard graphics
5. the ability to reuse my AM3 Athlon II X4 640 CPU, 2x2GB DDR3 1333 RAM, PSU, etc.
6. at least one PCI slot for my sound card

So far all I can find in my range of under $70 is GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 $64.99 @ Newegg

I'm not a gamer, so graphics aren't important as long as it's clear, sharp, and stable. I don't overclock I do fold 24/7 though. I had great luck with Biostar in the past but they don't have the combination of enough SATA ports and an IDE connector. I can't find any Asus boards with an IDE connector.

Anyone got any input here? I thought Asrock had a rep for reliability. I thought wrong.

Last edited by OvenMaster on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: WTB: RELIABLE AM3/AM3+ board with IDE
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:40 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
look here http://www.geeks.com/default.asp?AID=10438580&CJPID=2203897&cm_ven=CJ&cm_ite=Home_88x31_8-24-2006&cm_pla=2203897&cm_cat=1927692&afsrc=1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:28 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

I saw this MSI board MSI 760GM-E51 (FX)
that made my jaw drop. 5 SATA ports, floppy(!) and IDE ports, IG, and a great price.

Then I saw this at the bottom:
"This item ships directly from the manufacturer via FedEx and may be shipped ONLY to the 50 United States, EXCLUDING Massachusetts and the District of Columbia."

WTF??? Did my state fall off the map?

I see Newegg has it too, but 47% of the ratings are one star.

Methinks I'll be safer going with the Gigabyte board, but I do appreciate the guidance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:43 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Don't just look at the star ratings, actually look at why. Often times most of the 1 star ratings are because people got the board DOA. I haven't really seen a 2 star rating that was worthwhile. In other words, take the value at face value, go actually read into the reviews and figure out why the person did or didn't like the product and for how long that person has had it.

Also people will have a higher chance of putting down a negative review rather than a positive one. So honestly, while user reviews are a tool you can use as information in determining what you want, it's not an objective way of saying some hardware is reliable or not.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:31 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
the factory will not ship to your state? that is weird. they say they will only ship to the 50 states, guess they mean 49, cause last I heard, mass. is still included in the 50. perhaps something in the state laws, dc I can understand, its not a state.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:13 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

LatiosXT wrote:
Don't just look at the star ratings, actually look at why. Often times most of the 1 star ratings are because people got the board DOA. I haven't really seen a 2 star rating that was worthwhile. In other words, take the value at face value, go actually read into the reviews and figure out why the person did or didn't like the product and for how long that person has had it.

Also people will have a higher chance of putting down a negative review rather than a positive one. So honestly, while user reviews are a tool you can use as information in determining what you want, it's not an objective way of saying some hardware is reliable or not.

I always read the reviews for "why" something sucks. I noticed that the low ratings were for DOA boards. Getting a board that's DOA or defective is what I'm concerned about... it grinds my gears to have to pay both shipping charges AND a restocking fee for a defective part. Even my first Asrock board in September 2011 was defective out of the box... the PCI slots didn't work.

If it weren't for the PCI slot/sound card problems, I'd be perfectly happy to keep the Asrock board.