Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:09 am 

For the budget build, would you guys still go with the 939 MOBO or switch to the AM2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:55 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Hiapo wrote:
For the budget build, would you guys still go with the 939 MOBO or switch to the AM2?

AM2. The configurations need updated again, which I'll do before long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:17 am 

One4yu2c wrote:
Hiapo wrote:

AM2. The configurations need updated again, which I'll do before long.

Cool, I will be looking forward to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:35 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

One4yu2c, you posted something a while back about a single core processor being better for gaming(only if its strictly for gaming) than a dual core processor, I was wondering why? and is it something that can be noticed??
take for example AMD's current best single core(FX-57) against its best dual core(FX-62) which would be better for extreme gaming assuming some one will use if mainly for gaming?

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:01 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

The reason had to do with clockspeeds at that time. If a game isn't multithreaded (as most aren't), then multiple cores aren't going to speed up gameplay on a rig designed for nothing more than playing games. So if you had a dual-core 2.2GHz processor and a single-core 2.4GHz processor, the single-core would be slightly faster churning out those frames, since it has a 200MHz advantage.

If we compare an FX-57 (single-core) vs an FX-62 (dual-core), it's basically a wash. Both run at 2.8GHz and have 1MB L2 cache. If we want to split hairs, the FX-62, being an AM2 part utilizing DDR2 RAM, will be slightly faster than the s939/DDR FX-57.

Either way, I still would recommend a dual-core processor for any new build. Even for those that think they'll be using their PC for just one task, most will likely find that their computing habits change when running multiple cores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:13 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

One4yu2c, have you heard anything about the FX-64? rumors say it may be out this August....course its just rumors of what I have heard....just wanted to know what you might have heard......also can it stand toe to toe with Intels Conroe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:41 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

A quick Q for one4, was this thread released before or after you were hired as a maxpc editor?, if it was b4, Did you show maxpc recruiters this article to show how robust (that means good right?If its definition is not good, then replace with good) your writing skills are?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:58 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

A family issue caused me to return to Michigan, so as it stands right now, I'm contributing as a freelancer. But to answer your question, this guide was written before the job opportunity. I did link the thread in an email exchange with Will, but it was my contributions to HardwareLogic (LINK) that gave me some real world writing samples to showcase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:53 am 

Any plans on making an update soon One4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:57 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Phosphorous wrote:

Yep, you can expect a complete overhaul before too long. Just waiting for Core 2 Duo to become more widely available rather than on back-order and auto-notify. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:39 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

One4yu2c wrote:
Phosphorous wrote:

Yep, you can expect a complete overhaul before too long. Just waiting for Core 2 Duo to become more widely available rather than on back-order and auto-notify. ;)

*Drool*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:46 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I really do appreciate your time taken to give such a huge amount of advice in a "Grandma's Cadillac trunk...full" fashion. However, one thing I find how to deal with is the cosntant release of new technology. Sometimes MaximumPC will take a while to get to a product before they review it, and may miss it of it's not noticed. But as I was saying, these constant releases put into question....if the new release challenges your advice, how can you best know what to go with?

*EDIT*

I don't mean this to be critical in any fashion, for I am much in love with MaximumPC and its editors. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:18 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Scapegoat wrote:
But as I was saying, these constant releases put into question....if the new release challenges your advice, how can you best know what to go with?

I'm not 100% clear on what you're asking, so forgive me if I misinterpret and don't completely answer your question. Let me break it down like this:
    - First and foremost, this guide was written before I started contributing material to Maximum PC, and as such, the recommended components are my personal picks and not necessarily those of MPC. Future revisions will be carry the same philosophy.

- As it pertains to this guide, new releases don't challenge advice so much as they dictate change. A buyer's guide with recommended components quickly becomes obsolete unless the component list stays updated to reflect what's currently available. Specifically to this guide, AMD's move to socket AM2 and DDR2 support as well as Intel's Core 2 Duo have brought this guide to that point once again, and an overhaul is in order.

- And the real question - how can you best know what to go with? It's a combination of factors; hands on experience, familiarity with a company's support, online reviews from trusted sources, known issues, price versus features, and so on. Often times, there isn't just a single best choice in any given category. For example, is a kit of OCZ DDR2-800 any better or worse than a kit of Corsair DDR2-800 with the same timings? Or what about an XFX 7900GTX versus a BFG 7900GTX, each with the same clockspeeds? In the end, the component listed is the one I would personally pick if I was the buyer based on research and experience.
Hopefully I managed to answer your question somewhere above. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:37 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks, I really do think you did answer my question. I do understand that your advice doesn't necessary side with MPC based on your opinions (seeing as MPC seems to steer clear from choosing sides, and goes entirely for performance, quality, reliability, etc.) however, the quality and substance of your advice DOES reflect that of MPC's content. I know I was going somewhere with this. Ah well, thanks much for your effort and time. I do however, want to begin a thread soon asking about the Logitech G15, something I was disappointed MPC never reviewed (unless I TOTALLY missed an issue, which I don't think is the issue (pun totally intended)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:15 am 

One4yu2c wrote:
Phosphorous wrote:

SWEET :!: :!: :!:

I can't wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:26 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Phosphorous wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:
Phosphorous wrote:

SWEET :!: :!: :!:

I can't wait.

Who can? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:15 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I think its time for an update to this FAQ espeacially with the Intel Duo-Core 2 processors coming out and outperforming AMD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:34 am 

Yeah, I'm not sure how soon really is...it was 2 months ago when I asked if this was going to be updated. I'm sure One4 is pretty busy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:48 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Phosphorous wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure how soon really is...it was 2 months ago when I asked if this was going to be updated. I'm sure One4 is pretty busy.

How's today sound? ;)

Recommended component list has been completely overhauled, and some of the FAQs have been updated as well. With regards to component list, just as before treat it as an outline to tweak for individual preferences and needs. And I'd also recommend double checking compatibility between DDR2 kits and motherboards, depending on what BIOS a specific mobo ships with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:13 am 

Sweet!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next