Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: for my dad
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:06 pm 

I'm going to be building a computer for my dad with a budget of around 650 USD he will mostly use it for browsing the internet and maybe a few browser based game nothing really demanding. I'm just looking for advice for a possible build. I've put a mock build on pcpartpicker

CPU: Intel i3 3225

MOBO: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb (2 x 4gb) 1600Ghz

SSD: Samsung 840 120gb

HDD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

Wireless Adapter: Tp-link

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04

i already have a case and power supply from i build i recently upgraded any and all help would be great and yes i do live near a microcenter

Post subject: Re: for my dad
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:45 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Just my 2 cents worth, take it or leave it !

The memory, why pair higher end memory with a low end i3 ? I'd personally go with Kingston Value RAM or Corsair Value Select and save some money there and still have reliability.

As far as Windows 8....get him into a store and let him play with a demo machine running Windows 8...if he get's frustrated etc. then maybe consider Windows 7 if you can get a copy.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:01 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Why put a 128gb ssd? If anything, just use a 64gb and stuff the OS in it. Just because the budget is $650 doesn't mean you have to spend 650

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:51 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

That's awesome you're building a computer for your father. You might want to consider building the computer with your father - I did that a couple years ago and it was a great bonding experience.

As to your build, a few comments:
  • I would forgo the 1TB HDD and either stick with 128GB SSD or buy a 256GB. Consider this: you're spending ~$100 for the 128GB & ~$70 for the 1TB; a 256GB Samsung 840 will probably cost about ~$170. And if you're worried about storage, check your parent's current computer and see how much storage they've used. My dad rarely downloads anything, and there are only a handful of apps installed. I know because I had to do it! :)
  • The 3225 is pretty pricey for an i3 ($145 at Newegg). I would look at an AMD build - perhaps, an FX 6300 (currently priced at $119 with promo code). It should run circles around the 3225 especially considering the added processors.
  • I agree with a previous poster - make sure he wants Win 8 before you stick him with it. If he's familiar with other Windows, Win 7 may be the better option.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:49 pm 

thank you for the advice, my dad is still a few months away from wanted to start the build so things will probably change before then and prices will alter. thanks for the info about the amd cpu i dont know much about them honestly

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:36 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

sozan wrote:
thank you for the advice, my dad is still a few months away from wanted to start the build so things will probably change before then and prices will alter. thanks for the info about the amd cpu i dont know much about them honestly

The thing about AMD cpu is that they are the best bang for the buck. For budget builds, they are inexpensive and can handle everyday tasks. The FX series also have a decent graphics core so they can handle videos nicely. The latest Intel Celeron chips (G5xx series) are good deals also but I'm not sure how they compare with the AMD FX chips.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:40 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Honestly a cheapo Celeron would do nicely for a PC where all it's doing is web surfing and applications. Video isn't much of a big deal with computers these days. I mean, an ARM processor in a tablet can push 1080p video just fine and these processors have less overall compute power than a Prescott Pentium 4. Hell, you could configure an Atom or Brazos build and it would probably be fine.