Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Laptop help :)
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:30 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Hey so i know its not exactly PC building....but i need some advise on a new laptop. I'm looking for a mid to upper range one, 15", maybe a few extra bells and whistles. Good solid one....Ive had a XPS 16 which was replaced with a XPS 17 that i still have, but its showing its age and its frankly too big and heavy to move around with easily. Im currently eyeing maybe the XPS 15, or the HP Spectre XT. I like the touch screen and size of the HP however ive read mixed reviews of it, the XPS 15 is a tad heavier but bit more solid reviews. Anyone got any insight into either of these, or any other suggestions?

thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: Laptop help :)
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:23 am 
Team Member
Team Member

What are you going to use it for?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:01 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

phillyj wrote:
What are you going to use it for?

Suppose i should have mentioned that :) Im a software developer so running Eclipse, SQL Developer, several docs open at once as well as using remote desktop connections to my work PC. in addition to the usual web surfing, email managing, no real gaming so dont need anything crazy. I would use it greatly when traveling also so loading it up with tons of movies and tv shows to watch on flights and such. So ideally a decent battery life, and if possible something with 2 HD bays (or a optical bay i can replace wiht a HD), i would like to put in a SSD for my main drive and possibly a larger 7200 drive for data though this is entirely optional.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:44 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I would recommend against having a two hard drive solution, especially for traveling. Two hard drives are usually reserved for desktop replacements, i.e., the 17"+ boat anchors. If you want something built in, I think your best option as far as I know is the ASUS Transformer Book (Engadget's review). Otherwise, just get the laptop and swap out the HDD for a decently sized SSD and put the HDD in a USB 3.0 external enclosure. You'll get near native performance and the space when you need it.

Otherwise, I hear Samsung's Chronos 7 is good if you need battery life.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:58 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

LatiosXT wrote:
I would recommend against having a two hard drive solution, especially for traveling. Two hard drives are usually reserved for desktop replacements, i.e., the 17"+ boat anchors. If you want something built in, I think your best option as far as I know is the ASUS Transformer Book (Engadget's review). Otherwise, just get the laptop and swap out the HDD for a decently sized SSD and put the HDD in a USB 3.0 external enclosure. You'll get near native performance and the space when you need it.

Otherwise, I hear Samsung's Chronos 7 is good if you need battery life.

Only problem with those is the screens are way too small for me, 15" is what im aiming for. its hard enough switching from a 3x monitor setup on my home computer to a single screen laptop, a really cheap ultrabook is just too small for me to work with.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:10 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You should probably just go on Amazon or Newegg and filter for Core i7, 15" or larger. Go pick some that look good and find reviews for them.