Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: what is my best option for data protection?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:46 pm 

Hello all and thanks for your help in the past with my first build but now it is ready for an upgrade. I currently have a 500Gb hard drive for my operating system (win 8) and a 2 Tb data drive. The problem is my collection of music is up to 1 TB and videos is 200 GB with 75 GB of pictures. as u can see i am getting low on space and i am also worried about losing everything. what i was thinking of doing was getting 2 3TB hard drives and mirroring them. not sure how to do that and is that the best option for me? I also have a 2TB WD external hard drive that is hooked up to my internet so i can access it with my phone or another pc anywhere i am. I basically copy everything from my PC hard drive to the external every 6 months or so to keep it up to date and still be able to access it. any other options is appreciated and any links to how to accomplish anything suggested is welcome. thanks in advance

My system

processor = i7-2600k @ 3.40GHz not overclocked

16 GB ram

Video = Visiontek 900353 Radeon HD 6970 Video Card - 2048MB, GDDR5, PCIe, Dual mini-Display Port, HDMI, Dual DVI

MB = MSI P67A-GD80 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Post subject: Re: what is my best option for data protection?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:49 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Clarification: RAID 1 is not a data backup solution. It's a protection system in case one drive fails.

Otherwise you're pretty much doing what you can at the moment.