Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Which HDD Best Bang For Buck
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:43 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hello. I'm looking for something that can serve as a backup of around 1.5-3TB of space, that is reliable, and considering the $$/TB factor. The problem seems to be that a lot of the companies have shortened their warranty and that people seem to be claiming HDD failure a lot more than I recall two years ago. It would mostly be doing storage and serve to be a library of video content. Internal or external, doesn't matter. I need USB 3.0 if it is external; I would buy a USB 3.0 enclosure for the HDD. Obviously I'm considering the internal HDD + enclosure price vs external 3.0. Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Which HDD Best Bang For Buck
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:59 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

The advice your going to get is mostly based on user experience. Some will say WD, some will say Seagate etc. etc. etc. Personally, I've been a fan of Seagate drives for rock solid reliability over speed, but that's my own user opinion (looks at the 7 year old 250Gb primary boot drive in the main tower and smiles, still goin strong).

Post subject: Re: Which HDD Best Bang For Buck
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:36 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Personally I like internal with external enclosure, you can upgrade it and use the old hard drive in another computer or another external.

But yeah, it's usually Seagate or WD for hard drives. I haven't had a problem with Hitachi drives, or heard any issues. I don't know about Seagate, but if you want reliability, WD Blue or Blacks are your best bet. Otherwise get a green drive.