Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Upgrading my comp need advice
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:39 am 

So I am getting a new desktop for graduation. Mainly I want to have a tower that has potential for upgrades as well as something good for gaming. I have no idea what anything really means and all the numbers can get confusing. I want to be able to turn up the graphics settings on my games all the way to get the best quality possible without a low frame rate. I currently have to play all my games on the lowest setting on my laptop and it sucks, sometimes I can't play because the fps is toooo low.

So what qualities improve the gaming experience? Memory, graphics card, processor? I have heard that anything past about 8gb of RAM is useless for a normal person that is only doing one thing at a time. Keep in mind I know very little about this stuff so an in depth explanation might be needed. Is there a magical combo out there that is the top of the line for an affordable price?

If it is at all possible could you start with say a $500 desktop and slowly upgrade it to get the features I need for a good gaming desktop?

Post subject: Re: Upgrading my comp need advice
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:08 am 

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... 0?page=0,1

always a good place to start. if you can reuse the tower put that money into a better cpu.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:09 pm 

saipan wrote:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/build_pc_any_budget_three_builds_500_2000?page=0,1

always a good place to start. if you can reuse the tower put that money into a better cpu.

Thank you for that link, while I still had no idea what I was reading it gave me insight i guess :/

I did a little research and it looks like all that really matters for a gaming desktop is the graphics card. Okay so my idea was to get either a dell inspiron 660 (~$300) or if I really want to stretch the budget an X51 alien ware (~$650), the latter which is probably out of the question. I was then going to just purchase a really nice graphics card like a AMD Radeon 7xxx series, or Nivida GTX series. Would this be a good idea, and would it work with an inspirion? How can I tell if a graphics card will be compatible?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:39 pm 

I think your money will go farther if you build it yourself. it really isn't that hard. That Mobo in the link is a micro board so make sure the tower you have is suited for it. There should be some info on the tower itself where the mobo lies. That will tell you where to place the standoffs.

watch a lot of you tube videos for builds, watch a lot of you vids for info in general.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:56 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Sorry to pop your bubble, but a $650 machine won't run today's games and have all the graphics on high....just won't happen.

This is more in line with what you will need to get the performance you want:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... s_may_2013

A good graphics card must be pared with the cpu that the video card manufacture recommends for it to run correctly, you cannot just go out and buy one, plug it in and expect it to work as advertised. You need a power supply big enough to run it as well and the OEM type of machine you want to buy just won't do it because they use just enough power to run the machine you buy that is not upgraded by them. Don't buy an OEM, you won't be happy with the result in my humble opinion.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:20 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Can you build a decent machine fo $650? If you exclude the OS then yes. Most PC games today were built with the "lowest common denominator" in mind, and these days it's still the Xbox 360 and PS3. The hardware on those two is ancient.

And it really depends on your target. Are you wanting 1080p ultra settings with 60FPS? Half the $650 budget will go to a GPU that will deliver. If you're willing to go with 1080p with high settings at 30FPS, a decent $150 card will get you there. And those games that won't deliver, you can either lower the quality or the resolution (and this is the biggest performance booster, usually).

So yeah, it's usually not enough for a budget these days. You need a target.