Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: building central PC for my home
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:17 am 

Hi All,

I need some help choosing the right format and specs for my build.

First, I do no gaming, ZERO. I want a system that will be in my basement office, used only by me, and provide the following functionality.

I'm going to use it to store backups from all systems in my home (several), as a central storage PC for movies, pictures (20.000 so far), and files from each networked PC in the home. It will be connected to my Raspberry Pi which is connected to my upstairs TV (serve movies and pictures to that TV), will store all my "tools" I use for working on customer systems, serve as a data backup center for customer systems, and be used for general office tasks (MS Office, Pro Show Gold) and some light video editing (a few times a year).

I'm faced with the choice between building an i5 type of system, or buying a system from my local Future Shop (Best Buy)(cheaper). I want a robust system, that is fast, and again, do NO gaming. It will have a Gigabit LAN connection.

I'm trying to do this on a budget, but realize there is little sense or value in cheaping out and losing the benefit of a new system.

Help please.

Post subject: Re: building central PC for my home
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:37 am 

You could build an i5 based system or purchase one from futureshop, since you want to do it the cheapest way possible, so buying one from fututreshop is probably the way to go. They have Ivy Bridge i5 systems selling for $550 with OS which is hard to beat if you're looking at price primarily. I would suggest though building a system as it will probably be more reliable and perform better than any big box retail ever could, however it is more expensive. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TbvF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:18 pm 

I agree with the i5 based system. Budget and system wised. This is great especially with video editing.

I knew an online seller who sells with discount but I should check if he is still on sale. I'll be posting again once I get in touch with him. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:16 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

sounds like you are in the same situation I was just over a year ago, I had a centralized workstation / fileserver - was awesome until I wanted to upgrade it. Then it was a nightmare - until I built a freenas system out of spare parts.

Once I got the NAS up and running, I was able to migrate the data off the workstation - once I transitioned all the shares to it, I was able to do whatever I wanted to with my workstation with no impact to the shares & backups. It worked so reliable and stable (and still does), I even built a VMware ESXi diskless server that boots off the SAN, got rid of 4 physical desktops I used to use for testing (mostly pentium-D based slim PCs and even an old PII-266 lol)

It sounds like you are already in a situation where a storage-only device would benefit greatly, and you can use a ~$500 quad-core laptop for your workstation needs.

food for thought, cheers mate