This is my build that I was planning http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=21951872
Case: Antek ISK300-150 w/150W PSU($80)
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-H61N-USB3 ($80)
CPU: Intel Pentium G630T Sandy Bridge 2.3GHz ($80)
RAM: G.SKILL Value 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($29)
SSD: OCZ Agility 4 AGT4-25SAT3-64G ($80)
HDD: HGST Travelstar 1 TB 2.5" ($77)
The reasons why I picked what I did...
- The case is compact. I really don't need a remote either if I can do things from the keyboard (or some crazy mouse)
- Motherboard didn't need to be fancy
- CPU doesn't need to be hefty if I'm playing media on this directly. Streaming music should be fine. I'm not sure about video if it has to pre-transcode.
- It's also a 35W processor, meaning it runs exceptionally cool for a desktop part (35W is about top end for a laptop)
- Cooler means less noise!
- 4GB is a good amount, hell, it's even overkill for an HTPC
- SSD just because
- The HDD doesn't need to be fast. Multimedia is designed to be bandwidth saving and a higher capacity is ideal here
- There is no optical drive because in my case, I watch Blu-Ray/DVD on my PS3 anyway. But the case can take a slim drive or better yet, buy an external.
- I have an extra wireless adapter, but also, it's better for the HTPC to be hardlined anyway
The only real issue here is that for Blu-Ray/DVD, your sound card may not support the fancy decoding (Dolby, THX, etc.) so you may not get the best audio experience.