Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Incredibly fast file server
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:04 am 

So, I'm looking at minimizing cost and maximizing file transfer speed with a home file server.

Assumptions:
Let's just say I'll use a gigabit wired ethernet lan around the house for maximum transfer speed not limited by nic or wireless protocol.
I'll have up to 4 streaming devices all looking for file transfers at the same time, computers, tvs, phones, tablets, all streaming/downloading avi files around the house

Facts:
I'll have a couple 4TB harddrives with the media files located on them
I'll be running a Windows environment file server OS, help me choose

Performance:
Looking for read/write speeds in the 50MB/s range across the network

I might use USB 3.0 externals or SATA dependent upon recommendations and requirements

What do you recommend for:
Processor/RAM?
Mobo? Does it have enough SATA or USB 3.0 connections? How do I expand my file server at a later time with more drives?
Cooling? Is it quiet?

not afraid of building it inside of a cabinet and installing one-off cooling systems, but a stand-alone box would be great for just moving it around

Thanks!
~throughput

Post subject: Re: Incredibly fast file server
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:13 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I think you're looking directly at a small Windows Home Server (2) build, and it doesn't have to be very powerful at all. XBMC is an option if you're just streaming media since you don't have to manually mount an ISO and it just does it for you; it's $50 less (free) too. You'll want to focus more on the network vise the computer IMO.

What I use is an Asus iTX, little Intel G1610 Celly, 8G of Mushkin 1333 (was cheaper than it is now), and then a crap load of WD red drives in a Fractal Designs shoe box. The network is (was, we moved and I haven't set it back up since I want to move again) based on a managed 16-port gigabit switch. I added some outlets in the upper hall closet, placed the iTX up there, a small UPS, the switch, the modem, and then a 4-port Asus Black Night wireless router is right outside the cabinet on the wall. I'm not sure what they're called technically right now, but I bought a TP-Link patch panel to mount in the closet and that's the only part you run the CAT 6e out from to the individual plugs throughout the house. Once all that is wired to the patch panel, you only need little 15" home-made patch cables to jumper from the switch and it's just more clean in the closet and better to manage IMO.

I like the idea of a digital home, but I do NOT like that it's being focused on wireless a little bit too much. No, wait...too much indeed. I know it takes work, but a good wired network is painless once it's set up and all the hard work is done building it. Mine is a bit of a complicated plan, but it's abilities are really endless. Want a home surveillance system some day? Just plug it in to the already built system, and most switches have ports just for this. If I'm going through the trouble or running fast hardwires, might as well get the whole house for more techy stuff we may not realize we want currently.

Post subject: Re: Incredibly fast file server
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:54 pm 

As far as your RAM vs. Storage Capacity. With FreeNAS, one recommendation I read stated that 1GB of RAM per TB of storage was optimal. Do you agree with this assessment? Is this relevant for the storage solution you are using?

Thanks for the response!
~throughput