Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Challenge: small BTC miner
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:02 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

This is just a theoretical exercise. Suppose I wanted to build a mATX bitcoin miner rig like the one below:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz Single-Core Processor ($34.13 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ECS A780LM-M2 Micro ATX AM3 Motherboard ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($25.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: FSP Group 600W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $480.04
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-10 18:55 EDT-0400)

What budget microATX case can I use? No storage, run off a flash drive. No monitor, headless unit. I imagine putting it on the floor, under the desk.

With all the hype, I'm just looking around. Not even sure it's worth it. Everyone says it will crash in a few months or sooner. Maybe get some friends to chip in.

Post subject: Re: Challenge: small BTC miner
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:55 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I think you could make a much cheaper and higher valued BTC miner farm without a computer. I'd look at some of the racks people are building for BTC'ing, some are small $40 boxes much like Raspberry Pi's, but stronger focused at the chore at hand. A rack of these little things are usually at least in groups of 12, so you're looking at about the same cost, but less power and a higher ability to mine than a pretty complicated computer...and sips power.

Remember, when you want money you have to keep upfront costs down and also maintain low costs through it's lifespan; and that goes for any investment. You might be losing money with a monthly power bill that really doesn't work out in the end vs. many other routes you can take up front. You'd be surprised what a computer costs to run when you want it to make money, find aliens, or cure cancer. I think I saved about $180 a month shutting all my folding stuff down and Bitcoin mining on a single computer may cost $15-18 a month. Over a year, how many coins will you get and what is it's value at that time vs. $180 a year spent on running the machine?

I know it's a big thing and the bitcoin economy has skyrocketed...but you buy low and sell high right? I bought a pizza with bitcoins back in college. You know what that's worth now? I think I ate a freaking $2,200 pizza. Probably more, but don't tell me...I'll puke. Anyway, there's a saturation of all economies and you can't just print more computers like you can money ;)

Post subject: Re: Challenge: small BTC miner
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:33 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Well, as I said, I'm just looking into it. Can you believe people are selling pre-orders for the Butterfly Labs and Avalon ASIC miner on ebay?? There are bids on them and some are sold. I mean, people are spending money on something that doesn't exist and probably worthless in 5 months. Right now, a BTC is $80, down from $200 earlier this week.

I think I might make more money selling cheap bitcoin rigs. Maybe get a $100 profit per rig.

BTW, you're talking about ASICs (application specific integrated circuit). I haven't seen many out, though they may flood the market soon. Pretty expensive though, $200 for the smallest to over $20k.