Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rate my Build
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:17 am 

So I have all the below items in my Newegg cart ready to check out. I guess I'm asking if this is pretty much the best of the best which is what I want. I've been currently running on a Stone Age computer. I won't share the specs; they're embarrassing. :lol: I guess I'm also asking if there's something missing. I think I need an optical drive and sound card as well but I don't know what's good or if it comes with the tower or whatever. Definitely want at least a DVD-R if not DVD-RW. What I'm looking to get out of this build is to at least run today's games at the highest quality possible. Looking at ARMA 3, BF3, SimCity 5, among others. I say at least because I know if it can run those games at those settings it can do just about anything. Anyway, enough with the rambling here's the build.

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Steel Computer Case [Link]

CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W Power Supply [Link]

CORSAIR Hydro series H50 High Performance CPU Cooler [Link]

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD4H ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS [Link]

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor [Link]

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 02G-P4-2680-KR Video Card [Link]

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory [Link]

Seagate SV35 Series 1TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive [Link]

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F480GBGT-BK 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) [Link]

Don't know if this link will work. It's the Newegg link I get when I ask to share my cart. [Link]

Any help, suggestions, changes, anything is much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Rate my Build
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:29 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Welcome!

Looks like you've got quite a build there. Overall, everything looks good - some really high end components. I won't be able to answer all your questions, but I did notice that you seem to like overspending on storage. :shock: I'm kidding of course, but you managed to find some costly components!!

For the SSD, the Samsung 840 Pro is considered the drive to beat and it's $90 less than that Corsair.

$110 for a 1TB HDD is high too. Use the promo code on this Seagate 1TB HDD and you're sitting at $65 vs $110.

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: Rate my Build
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:04 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

I agree with btdog's sentiments and there are a few other changes I would make as well:

CPU: I would drop to an i5 3570K, you aren't going to see a benefit with an i7 when gaming and in some cases there's a bit of a penalty for having the overhead that hyperthreading introduces.

Case: Personal choice here but I'm a big fan of Fractal Designs, I'd recommend that you at least take a look at their Define R4

Video card: As of late AMD is the best bang for the buck when it comes to video cards. I'd recommend looking at a 7970 from either Gigabyte or XFX as both make solid cards. If you really want to stick with nVidia I'd save some cash and drop to a GTX 670. The 680s aren't worth the premium that you pay for them and a 670 can easily be overclocked to match a 680 in performance.