Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New build... it has been awhile. Comments?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:18 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500 AT Ball Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($207.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($389.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($95.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1785.39
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-07 10:12 EST-0500)

Generally I game with RPG (not MMORPG yet, believe it or not). Plus, I do empirical accounting/financial research and will crunch large datasets through SAS or Stata or R (or other stat programs as needed). I remote connect to a server at Wharton sometimes and download / process these datasets. Also looking to remote access my office computer so that I can work from home using the beast I want to build.
Games: Skyrim, Oblivion, Witcher, DragonAge, etc. Maybe sports or other sim (Flight Sims are something I would like to get into... haven't yet).
Probably not going to overclock.. do I need a 3rd party CPU cooler?

My first pass had the HAF X and the -DELUXE version of the Mobo above. Am I overkilling anywhere?? (probably... :) )
Thanks

Post subject: Re: New build... it has been awhile. Comments?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:26 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Well, there are some changes that I would suggest to your build although overall it's pretty solid. Changes are:

CPU: Actually you're one of the rare few that I think will actually put an i7 to good use, provided the programs you use are well written for multithreading.

CPU cooler: I've never really been that big of a fan of that particular Zalman, it's rather large and there are better performing coolers out there. Take a look at the Phanteks PH-TC12DX or the good old CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ EVO.
Motherboard: Not a bad board but there are boards that are just as good if not better for less cash. I would look at the ASRock Extreme 4 or the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H boards

RAM: Most folks seem to prefer the G.Skill RipJaws nowadays but there's nothing wrong with Corsair either.

Storage: Since you're going with an SSD I'd forego paying the extra cash for a Caviar Black. Get a Caviar Blue or Green and save some cash

SSD: Should be fine

Video Card: Surprisingly AMD has been able to crank out more power from their GPUs with driver updates than nVidia has and they overclock quite nicely as well. I would recommend looking at a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 or a XFX Double D 7970 card instead

Case: I've never really liked the HAF series of cases from CoolerMaster, they tend to be on the noisy side even if you use quiet fans. I would recommend looking at the Fractal Designs Define R4 instead

Power Supply: Slightly more juice than you need but not too much overkill. Still you can save some cash and still get a quality power supply by going with something like a SeaSonic M12II 650

Optical Drive: Pretty much a commodity at this point, whatever works really.