Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help me please
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:40 am 

Hi, im new here and im planning to build a computer.
Im tight on money so i dont want to spend over £500.
I just want to ask wether these parts are compatible with each other. Thank you

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Sandybrid ... 184&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMZ8GX3 ... 184&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... _img_sol_1

Post subject: Re: Help me please
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:51 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:

Welcome to the forums! Feel free to ask away and if you know an answer, don't hesitate to help out.

To answer your question, yes they are all compatible. So it looks like these are 281 pounds - what else do you need? Also, what do you plan to do with this computer?

Finally, the CPU & mobo are an older generation 1155 socket. While they're perfectly fine, the i5-3570 is the newer generation CPU that replaced the i5-2500. It, too, has a combo deal with a motherboard for 247 pounds (look at the Frequently Bought Together section). With the same RAM as you list above (which is compatible), you're at 289 pounds. 8 pounds for a newer generation, better motherboard and slightly faster CPU, it's worth it.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:12 pm 

btdog wrote:
Quote:

Welcome to the forums! Feel free to ask away and if you know an answer, don't hesitate to help out.

To answer your question, yes they are all compatible. So it looks like these are 281 pounds - what else do you need? Also, what do you plan to do with this computer?

Finally, the CPU & mobo are an older generation 1155 socket. While they're perfectly fine, the i5-3570 is the newer generation CPU that replaced the i5-2500. It, too, has a combo deal with a motherboard for 247 pounds (look at the Frequently Bought Together section). With the same RAM as you list above (which is compatible), you're at 289 pounds. 8 pounds for a newer generation, better motherboard and slightly faster CPU, it's worth it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Btdog I want this computer for gaming because i have got a pretty slow PC at the moment. I would also like to ask what Graphic card and power source you would recommend. Also do you know if these processors come with a heat sink if not what would you recommend, maybe water cooling? I read that you need K For the processor to be able to be overclocked.
Thank you very much :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:14 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
I would also like to ask what Graphic card and power source you would recommend. Also do you know if these processors come with a heat sink if not what would you recommend, maybe water cooling? I read that you need K For the processor to be able to be overclocked.

Let me answer your last comment first. For Intel, the "K" represents that the CPU is designed to be overclocked. So if you want to OC, then you'll want a "K" part.

Now, here's the tricky part. Components cost money; better components cost more money. When you have a limited budget, you need to do is determine what you plan on doing with the computer (you say gaming) and what components you need. Once you know the intent (gaming), what you need (here's the part we're missing) and how much you have (according to you it's £500 - that's about $750), then you can start selecting the parts.

Before you go any further, figure out what you need...then make a list of components you think would fit your budget and let us know what you come up with; we can make suggestions from there to improve/downgrade as we think is appropriate.

I can tell you that at £500, water cooling and OCing (unless you absolutely plan on doing it) are out of the question - they're going to eat up too much money that can go towards more crucial components (like a GPU).

As a guide, below are basic components that are needed to build a computer - some of these you may already have or can re-use from your old computer. I've also included a list of "optional" components so you can see where some parts land:

BASIC COMPONENTS FOR A COMPUTER
  • Case
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • Storage (for cheaper builds this is an HDD; if your budget allows it can be an SSD)
  • PSU
  • GPU (only if the motherboard does not have integrated graphics)
  • Operating System
  • Monitor
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Speakers/Headset
  • Cables (most components will give you the cables you need, but you may need some additional cables depending on your set up; e.g., ethernet cable)
  • USB thumb drive/Optical Disk Drive (you need one or the other to get stuff on your computer; with the thumb drive you will need another computer to prepare it)

OPTIONAL COMPONENTS FOR A COMPUTER
  • Sound Card
  • Additional storage (e.g., SSD boot with a HDD storage drive)
  • 3rd Party Heatsink or water cooling (most CPUs come with a stock CPU cooler)
  • 2nd GPU for SLI or Crossfire
  • Card Readers
  • Printers
  • Wireless Network Card (unless this is the only way you can connect to a router)
  • External Storage

Hope this helps.