Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Laptop Motherboard
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:20 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi! So my parents laptop's motherboard died and I am replacing it. My dad uses it for business so I want to be able to replace the motherboard and CPU without having to reinstall windows so he can keep his stuff. It has a AMD N850 tri core CPU, I am looking at this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspiron-M ... 19d922e3ce

and this quad core AMD N970.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-II-Q ... 35c05f707b

Can I upgrade it with these parts without having to reinstall windows? Also I was looking at a similar setup that would work, that cost the same but has a i7 740QM. If I use a Intel CPU I have to reinstall windows right? He doesn't want to have to reinstall windows. Thanks! :)

BTW can I transfer all the data off of the HDD onto a SSD without having issues?

Post subject: Re: Laptop Motherboard
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:27 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

The lovely thing about AMD is they reused the same socket. The bad thing is, I can't figure out if the motherboard is compatible with the processor you want. Yes, the processor says Socket S1 and the motherboard is Socket S1, but earlier revisions can't take a later processor.

Good luck: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_S1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:31 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

Rule of thumb is if your changing out a motherboard you need to reinstall. If your willing to fight with it, you can do it and some ways work better then others. However I have always run into one issue or another trying to swap without a install.

Just tell him it's time to do a spring cleaning. Reinstalling will make his computer faster and get rid of old, unused or even unwanted programs. Most normal people have junk programs on their systems they don't even know are there. It's time to fight back move the furniture and give it a good cleaning.

2 pennies please :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:41 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

If your old man is worried about losing his settings/files:

• At the minimum for program settings, back up C:\Program Data and C:\Users\<username>\AppData.
  • Reinstall Windows, update, etc.
  • Reinstall all the programs he uses
  • Replace C:\Program Data and C:\Users\<username>\AppData with the backed up copy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:55 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks for the replies! :D OK so a reinstall I guess he is just gonna have to deal with. I am not a pro with laptop motherboards, could you find the nicest motherboard that would fit in a DELL Inspiron M5010 laptop? Like one that might hold a 2nd or 3rd gen core i processor? Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:58 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Or a motherboard that supports a AMD APU. My brother does some very light gaming on it and a ATI 4250 doesn't game well at all with any game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:02 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Judging by the way Dell works, that laptop will only fit AMD motherboards. And even then, you have to make sure the cooling solution in the current laptop is not only shaped right, but can provide sufficient cooling.

Laptops have no standard hardware. So you're going to have to replace all the main parts with pretty much exact components.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:14 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

OK... So stuck with the stupid old AMD... whats the highest I could upgrade the processor, I want to get a little more performance out of it if I am going to replace almost all its internals. Also would a N5010 motherboard fit? its the Intel model. but would the GPU be as good?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:20 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Again, your heatsink is probably not going to fit. So you're going to have to find a matching heatsink. And unless you know the exact socket used on the AMD board, you can't figure out which processors are available to you.

This is homework for you to do.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:23 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I think the fastest it supports is the N970. It's 989 or 988 I think. Also buying a new heat sink is no problem.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:09 am 

For a desktop, it would not be a big problem, but for a laptop, it is. Laptop's are exceedingly proprietary and you can't really just buy any motherboard that works with your CPU or any old heatsink. CPUs are even sometimes soldered right onto the mobo in laptops, although it looks like you want to upgrade that too. It all depends on the specific laptop model and somehow finding parts that would work for that exact model. For the price, hassle, and potential failure rate, I would strongly consider looking into a new or refurbished replacement machine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:55 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

He decided to do a desktop since he was probably going to have to reinstall windows. Bought the parts last night.

AMD A10 5800K 3.8GHZ Quad core APU ATI HD 7660D

MSI Motherboard

4GB Corsair Vengeance LP

500GB HDD

Windows 7 Home Premium

XION XON-720P mATX/ ITX Slim Desktop Case With 300W PSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:53 am 
Klamath
Klamath

So I got the parts and built the computer and it seems to run great! One issue is neither PCmeter or CoreTemp reads my temperature correctly. PCmeter doesn't work and CoreTemp says 0C-2C. The CPU is a AMD A10 5800K APU. It has the stock heatsink and I scraped the stock thermal off with a thermal spreading tool and cleaned the heatsink off using alcohol and coffee filters, I then spread a thin layer of ANTEC Formula 7 on it.