Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Buying a new monitor, need help!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:13 pm 

Want to buy a new monitor for gaming purposes. However don't wanna break the bank, would like to keep it under $150 23" or 24".

I have no idea what makes a good monitor, one thing I did read was that a 2ms monitor is better for gaming then 5ms. I have no idea what contrast ratio i should be looking for though. I have seen 500:1 and then there is 100000000:1

What are specs I need to look for in a good gaming monitor, I like lots of color and detail.

Post subject: Re: Buying a new monitor, need help!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:09 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Welcome!

Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of a recommendation. The last two monitors I've bought were from Dell only because I know they use LG panels. Anything that uses LG or Samsung is more or less "good quality" last I bothered to check. Asus is also a good brand. I'm going to put ViewSonic in my bin since that's what I use at work and it's a pretty good monitor brande

Anyway, with that out of the way, let's get to the nitty and gritty about specs.

Contrast ratio Ignore the marketed contrast ratio. This is the most useless spec because it's measured in conditions you'll never be in and it's always inflated (fun fact, a contrast ratio of 1,000,000:1 is equivalent to something like the sun versus a shadow). I would find a review on a monitor if you settle on something to see what it's contrast ratio is what it's supposed to be to a degree, in which case higher is better.

Response time Also a bit of a spec you should throw away. There's no standard way to measure it and I've had no problem with a monitor that was rated for 12ms. At this point, you may have to care really hard to notice it.

Color and Viewing Angle
So here's the awful reality. A budget of $150 limits you only to TN panels unless you can find a used IPS panel display somewhere. TN panels have noticeable color shifting. At 24", the bottom is going to look different than the top, but it might not matter for games. If you also want the most accurate color possible, you're going to have to drop $600 for a high-end IPS monitor at least (or you can try the $300 Korean monitors).

A way to tell the panel right off is the viewing angle. If it's not 178/178, then it's a TN panel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:40 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Actually there are some nice IPS panels now within the op's budget range, although just barely. There is the Asus VS229H-P 21.5" for $144.99. It doesn't seem to be the highest quality of IPS panels but user reviews seem to indicate that it's generally a good panel with the only consistent complaint being that the stand isn't of the greatest quality, although I've seen that on all too many monitors and even some more expensive ones.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:58 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
here us a decent HP with an IPS panel, 23" just a taste over 150.00 when you use the discount code for an extra 10% off. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176424 I am quite happy with my 27" HP.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:27 am 

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I went and looked at a lot of monitors in stores and the only thing I could tell a difference in between one and the other is if it was really bad. All the good ones looked the same but there were a few that just stood out and looked very pasty if that is the correct word to describe it.

If you know what I am talking about, any idea what causes this or how to avoid one of these lemons? I also did not see a difference/ couldn't tell in the IPS and TN monitors.

Last question, where is a good place to buy monitors from either online or local?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:51 pm 

g.m.waters (red ranger3) wrote:
here us a decent HP with an IPS panel, 23" just a taste over 150.00 when you use the discount code for an extra 10% off. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176424 I am quite happy with my 27" HP.

Thanks SOOOO much for the link! I am probably going to order this tomorrow! This is the cheapest IPS panel I can find with a HDMI input.

Thanks Again

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:03 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
dont forget to order a cable if you don't have one. though you really do not need one, it comes with a dvi cable which is the same thing just does not carry sound. if you were using a HD TV, then yes.