Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Build advice for a progammer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:40 pm 

Hello Everybody !

I want to build a computer that will be used mainly for programming ( macro, visual studio, C++, java, etc ), compiling, dealing with graphics and design, working on big programs ( Adobe Masters Suite ),
multitasking. Very little gaming will be done on it.

My planned build looks like this:

Processor ( i7-3930K )
CPU Cooler ( Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 )
Motherboard ( Asus RAMPAGE IV EXTREME )
RAM ( G.SKILL DDR3 4x4GB 2133MHz CL9 RipjawsZ )
Hard Drive ( WD 1 TB, 64 MB, 7200 RPM, WD1002FAEX )
SSD Drive ( Samsung 840 Series, 250GB )
Graphic Card ( Asus 680 GTX )
Sound Card ( Asus Xonar Essence STX )
Optical Drive ( Asus BW-12B1ST )
Case ( CoolerMaster Cosmos II )
PSU ( Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 )

What do you guys think about this build ? Is it too powerful for the stuff that I will be doing ? Do you recommend me to take out some components and add some other ones ?

In my opinion, I think that the processor i7-3930K is too powerful even for the stuff that I will be doing. I was thinking about the i7-3820. Second thing, the PSU power.... was thinking about dropping it till
650 W. Third thing, the GTX 680 graphics card...also thinking that it's too powerful... might go with the GTX 670. And the last thing is the motherboard - Asus Rampage IV Extreme... planning on
switching to Asus P9X79 Deluxe.

I would appreciate everyone's replies to help me finish this build.

Post subject: Re: Build advice for a progammer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:04 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

What you've posted is very much a gaming build and there are some definite changes that I would suggest for your intended uses, I'll address them point by point:

CPU: i7-3930K, pretty much one of the most expensive processors out there. Unless you are doing some seriously high end audio or video editing (as in 4K video) I don't see you using anywhere near the full capacity of this processor. I could potentially see some use for an i7 in your situation but frankly I would suggest an i5 3570K, if you really think that you're going to be taxing the CPU a bunch then step up to an i7 3770K.

Motherboard: You've chosen a gamer/enthusiast/heavy overclocker board. I very much doubt that you'll use all of the abilities that this board has. I would suggest something like the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H or ASRock Extreme 4 instead. Both are solid boards that should do everything you need just fine.

RAM: There is zero benefit, no matter what the application, in going with DDR3-2133 RAM. You won't see a performance difference between it and DDR3-1600. I would recommend swapping to 16GB of the Ripjaws DDR3-1600.

SSD: Solid drive, no change needed

HDD: Should be fine

GPU: Unless you heavily get into gaming (and even if you do) a GTX 680 is overkill. A GTX 670 has most of the performance of a 680 and can be overclocked easily to meet or exceed the performance. I'd actually recommend a Radeon 7850 instead or perhaps a Radeon 7950 unless you really want the CUDA acceleration in some of the Adobe programs.

Sound Card: Nice sound card, but in all honesty unless you're getting into heavy audio work I would see how you like onboard audio, it's come a long way. If you do plan on doing audio production I would suggest an external USB DAC instead although those can get quite expensive and I would make different recommendations for that based upon what you use for your output (speakers or headphones)

Optical Drive: Should be fine, pretty much a commodity nowadays really

Case: Personal preference here would be the Fractal Designs Define R4 but if you really want the Cosmos it's not a bad case.

PSU: Overkill even with the 680. I would recommend a solid 600 watt PSU such as the SeaSonic M12II 600 or the Corsair TX-600.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:18 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
I want to build a computer that will be used mainly for programming ( macro, visual studio, C++, java, etc ), compiling, dealing with graphics and design, working on big programs ( Adobe Masters Suite ),
multitasking. Very little gaming will be done on it.

Shouldn't you be using a professional graphics card, not a GPU designed to play games? Maybe something like AMD FirePro V5900?

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:33 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It depends on what kind of graphics OP is doing, as it wasn't mentioned what kind. Photoshop stuff can skirt by on the CPU alone. Maybe a midrange GPU to help with things. 3D stuff, it won't necessarily benefit from a professional card.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:54 pm 

Thanks for the replies !!!

NSAFREAK: Very good build ! Solid too ! Thank you for all your step by step PC part picking ! Really looks solid and for what I need, I think I would go with the i7-3770K just to be future bulletproof. :D As for the motherboard, probably will take you up with the ASRock Extreme 4.. as I heard it's a very good board. With all the rest... I approve your message !!

BTDOG: With the video graphics, very good point. I probably should consider this as I will really do somewhat gaming like 3% :) NSAFREAK: What do you think about changing the GTX 670 to a FirePro or Quadro series ??

LATIOSXT:
Quote:
3D stuff, it won't necessarily benefit from a professional card.
How so ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:24 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I should take back my original post.

If you're doing CAD and stuff like Maya/3dsmax/etc. to make models for a game or some other real-time environment, a video card is more or less required. If you're doing a lot of offline rendering, then that's usually on the CPU (unless my knowledge on this is outdated). But you won't need the latest and greatest graphics card either way.

In regards to pro vs. consumer cards, they're pretty much the same hardware but optimized differently. Pro cards are optimized for said CAD and 3D modeling. Consumer cards are optimized for gaming. However, neither can't do the other. They'll just do the other task slower. Unless this is your job or you're hardcore about what you do, get a consumer card.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:26 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

LatiosXT pretty much summed up what I was going to say about going with a professional card vs a consumer card. As stated unless you're doing hardcore level work and really want that driver support that some CAD & other high end 3D programs need I'd recommend a consumer card.