Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: flirting with ideas
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:16 pm 

As the title explains, I am still in pre-writing it on paper. So far, there is no project, I am looking into some aspects.

I am wondering about the use mini atx motherboards (never even seen one). Games would probably be one thing I'll do, but it is other software that I am concerned with. I use maya. When I will do some rendering either in maya or when I get a copy of mental ray or similar product. Will a mini atx be able to handle the possible workload of rendering scenes?

Post subject: Re: flirting with ideas
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:55 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Are you talking about MicroATX or Mini-ITX? They're just motherboard sizes form factors. The major difference between the two:

MicroATX
  • Usually has 4 RAM slots
  • Four expansion slots available (Typically three PCI-Express and one PCI if it has one)
  • Usually has at least 2 6GBps SATA ports, 4 3GBps SATA ports

Mini-ITX
  • Two RAM slots
  • One PCI-Express x16 slot
  • Usually 4 SATA ports (2 6Gbps and 2 3Gbps), may have 6

Otherwise, there's nothing else special about them. They take all the same CPU, RAM, video cards, etc. that ATX motherboards take (barring chipset and other compatibilities of course). The only thing you have to worry about is the case, which may be small. Most MicroATX cases are fine (except slim, desktops, and HTPC). Many Mini-ITX cases are not if you're doing heavy workloads. If you're going Mini-ITX with heavy workloads, I suggest something from SilverStone, Lian-Li, or Bit-Fenix.